• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Strange behavior by smoker or PID

Started by oakrdrzfan, April 03, 2010, 08:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakrdrzfan

I had an odd thing happen twice today.  While 3 hours into the smoke, the temperature started to dive.  I checked and there was still power so I checked my PID and all was fine.  Connections were good.  So, i switched the PID off and then on.  The smoker started heating again.  It heated back up to desired temperature and then shortly after that it dove again.  Switched the PID off and on again and temperature started climbing again.

Anyone have any ideas.  Is my PID bad?  The settings were all ok for it.

Habanero Smoker

If you had your PID programmed correctly, then more information would be helpful. It could be the high temperature switch that will cut the power to the heating element. This happens when your smoker reaches about 320°F, or if the switch is faulty; it can cut off the heat at a lower temperature. Once the cabinet cools, the switch is designed to engage and provide power again.

Did you notice at what temperature the smoker got to before the heat dropped?

Did this problem occurred at the same temperature on both occasions, or same time intervals?

At what temperature reading did the PID indicate, when the smoker began operating again?

How much time expired after the heating element cut off, until it started working again?

Did you run the smoker without the PID, to see if the same problem would happen?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

oakrdrzfan

Thanks Habanero.  I will answer your questions.  The PID sensor was above the meat and the Maverick was below it.  The PID never did reach temperature.

Did you notice at what temperature the smoker got to before the heat dropped?  PID was at 186 and Maverick at 242 for the 1st time and 195 and 255 the second time.

Did this problem occurred at the same temperature on both occasions, or same time intervals?  Dont know if it was same temperature as i wasnt watching it that closely, but not close to 300F

At what temperature reading did the PID indicate, when the smoker began operating again?  PID was at 175.  i turned the PID off and on and that seemed to work.

How much time expired after the heating element cut off, until it started working again?  Soon after I turned the PID off and on.  The box temperature dropped below 200F both times.

Did you run the smoker without the PID, to see if the same problem would happen? No.  I was smoking a prime rib and more concerned at the time about gettting dinner ready for guests.  I transferred to the oven after the 2nd failure.

Hope this gives you more to go on.

RAF128

1st thought is that there is something wrong with the PID.    Before you package it up and send it back I have to ask.   Are you sure the PID was programmed.   Did you set the desired temp, and then the desired time.   If the time wasn't set it will turn off when it reaches the previously set time.   By turning it off and on again you start the previously set program.   

oakrdrzfan

Quote from: RAF128 on April 04, 2010, 07:36:15 AM
1st thought is that there is something wrong with the PID.    Before you package it up and send it back I have to ask.   Are you sure the PID was programmed.   Did you set the desired temp, and then the desired time.   If the time wasn't set it will turn off when it reaches the previously set time.   By turning it off and on again you start the previously set program.   

I had the PID set correctly.  250F for an hour and then 225 for 7 hours.  That is my default setting and double checked it each time before turning it on and off.

wally22

oakrdrzfan, I had something like this happen and it was the sencor from the PID order a new one and all worked well. Just make sure you order the right one because there are diffrent ones for diffrent PID.

oakrdrzfan

Quote from: wally22 on April 04, 2010, 09:08:06 AM
oakrdrzfan, I had something like this happen and it was the sencor from the PID order a new one and all worked well. Just make sure you order the right one because there are diffrent ones for diffrent PID.

Thanks for letting me know.  For my case it doesn't make sense to me, because the PID sensor is giving what is a believable temperature.  It is trending appropriately with my Maverick smoker temperature.  I could see it being a problem with the PID controller box, but not the sensor itself.

Habanero Smoker

I would do a test run without the PID. That will narrow down wether the PID is the cause of the problem.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)