• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Takes a while for temp to come back up

Started by bozer, April 04, 2010, 09:06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bozer

I put two racks of ribs into the smoker today. During the 3 hour smoking process, the first hour it was hovering around 200. At an hour into its its finally at 225.

Should I do the three hours of smoke for say a half hour longer now? I'm worried that first hour where it was lower then I wanted might have screwed me up. I should have waited for the temps to be higher before putting them in, I know =(

I figure I'll just smoke them for a half hour longer then normal to try to even it out. Hoping the hour of it being around 200 didnt ruin them.

Whatchasmokin

I have cooked my ribs at around 200 the whole time (because of ambient temps). They did have to cook a little longer, but not much. Did you foil them after the smoke? Watch for the meat to pull back from the bones.
The time to hesitate is through............James Douglas Morrison

KyNola

You have no worries with that first hour.  You should be fine.

KyNola

Quarlow

Smoke is smoke, you may have more smoke flavour than you want already. Ribs I only go 2 hrs with the smoke and the rest is cooking.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Caneyscud

200 is not prob.  Just adds a little to the time.  I like smoke - so I usually smoke the whole time now.  This is not anywhere close to an exact science.  Too many variables that cannot be controlled.  And that is ok to me.  Barbecue is a way of life to me.  It is the enjoyment of the process as much or more than the enjoyment of the product.  It's also how I pick my BBQ restaurants I frequent.  If there is a pit out back, a pile of hickory and some guy with bleary eyes, and in a smokey hat and apron out back tending that pit, then that joint is a likely candidate for good bbq.  When I go inside and they have pretty napkins, mango salsa on spring greens, and some big monstrosity of stainless steel and glass with a sign on the side that says for the last one out the door to be sure the temperature is set to 225 when they leave for the night - I tend to stay away from.  They may make decent eats - but they have NOT paid the price!  IMO, they are dedicated to taking your money, not dedicated to furnishing you, the diner, the best bbq meal possible.  A real pitmaster knows that there is differences in meat, differences in the wood he is using, differences in the humidity, differences in the barometric pressure, differences in the ambient temperature, etc.... but knows how to adjust to them and still produce great barbecue.  I've heard the other type say that they are sorry about the meat today, should've come yesterday, the temperature was better!  This is not an exact science and the sooner one realizes this and adjusts to what you have been given that day, the sooner one becomes a better barbecuer.  200 degrees don't hurt - you just adjust.  When the treasury department and the banks teach someone how to tell a counterfeit bill from a fake one, they usually tell them to get so familiar to what a real bill looks and feels like that they can just tell the difference.  They don't study fakes, they study the real thing.  The same with BBQ - study the good stuff and try to make yours come out that way.  Learn what it takes and adapt, -  not a one size fits all recipe or technique!  Bozer, this is not about you or your experience yesterday.  I'm sure that you will take what you learned yesterday, store it away in the bbq wiki in your brain to be used next time you have a similar situation.  It's more of a railing against the thought that the more gadgets and the more control over temperature you have (2 deg variance), PID's, extra elements, etc.... will get you better barbecue.  It won't!  If you are lucky, it might make it easier, but will not guarantee you tender, succulent, tasty morsels of smoky heaven.  I've got the next to the latest whang-bang professional digital cameras and do it all automatic lenses - but does that guarantee me a great pic?  NOPE.  I have brushes that cost me $5 and brushes that cost me $100 - does the $100 brush paint me a watercolor masterpiece by itself? - NOPE  I've got fly rods that cost me $15 dollars, but does my almost $800 Helios catch more fish - NOPE.   The point is that there is a learning curve, and there has to be an accumulation of knowledge, experience, and skill.   The soul of barbecue laughs when we think we can put in 12 pucks, punch in a time and a temperature, go take a nap, do an errand or whatever, and a few hours later come back to perfect bbq ready to eat. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

bozer

The ribs came out pretty damn good.

One of the racks was cooked more then the other though.

Do you guys switch places on the racks? I was thinking when I put the foil on, then back in is a good time to put them in different spots, but perhaps earlier?

uniman

Yep, this is pretty much what my OBS does as well, see my post above, I hardly ever smoke about 225, it just doesn't get that hot.

That being said, everything I smoke still comes out pretty dang good.

You might want to wrap a small brick with tin foil and place in the bottom of the OBS, that help maintain the temp though for when you have to open the door.

MPTubbs

Quote from: bozer on April 05, 2010, 12:15:02 PM
The ribs came out pretty damn good.

One of the racks was cooked more then the other though.

Do you guys switch places on the racks? I was thinking when I put the foil on, then back in is a good time to put them in different spots, but perhaps earlier?

Yep, you should rotate your racks.

Front to back and rotate the bottom to the top.

It's a learning curve but after a few smokes you'll get the hang of it.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

db14

Agreed, you should rotate racks when possible.

With the cabinet temp, what is the outside temp?  Is there a lot of wind?  I've never had a problem with getting mine up to at least 250F.  I keep mine in the garage on windy days.  I also have a foiled wrapped brick on the bottom try next to the water bowl.  It acts as  a heat sink and helps you recover teh temp faster.  Just be conscious of things that bring the temp down.  Put the water bowl in while you preheat and use warm water.  Let the meat sit out for a bit and raise to room temp or close before you put it in the cabinet.  Putting in lots of cold meat can really drop the temp.  And most importantly, resist the urge to open the door and peek.  Once teh meat goes in, you shouldn't be opening the door again for a few hours.