Wilmington, DE

Started by Caneyscud, April 07, 2010, 02:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Going to see BIL at the end of April.  Lives somewhere near Wilmington, DE - maybe Newark, DE.  Any suggestions of what to take in.  Been maybe 25 years since I've been up to see him, but have done most of the things around - museums, DuPont houses, etc..... Momma won't let us go back to any of those. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Ka Honu

1.  Go armed.
2.  Don't drink the water.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Caneyscud on April 07, 2010, 02:50:21 PM
Going to see BIL at the end of April.  Lives somewhere near Wilmington, DE - maybe Newark, DE.  Any suggestions of what to take in.  Been maybe 25 years since I've been up to see him, but have done most of the things around - museums, DuPont houses, etc..... Momma won't let us go back to any of those. 

Yeah take a 2.5 hour drive N to come to my house.

We go to Delaware monthly to see my wifes mom who is a campground hostess.

3rensho

I used to live near Wilmington or as they say there "Wimminton".  There was a place called Dinardo's that served fantastic platters of crab.  Don't know if it still exists but worth a look.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Ka Honu

I think Di Nardo's is in Philly.  I don't think they have "branches" but what do I know?

La Quinta

Don't worry about him Caney.....He's a "Harwayian fella"!!!  ;D ;D

Ka Honu

"She's baaaack!" and as feisty as ever.  (Welcome home, LQ).

3rensho

Yes, there is a Dinardos in Philly but this one was/is in Wilmington.  Been there several dozen times.  That's where I learned from some Chinese grad students that when you pop the carapace off a crab you spoon out that orange gooey stuff and eat it.  Delicious.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

carnie1

Go find Anthonys Coal fired pizza, they are all over south floridia and have 1 in Wilmington anthonyscoalfiredpizza.com
Oh and make sure you try the rib and wing appitizers too

Caneyscud

Quote from: La Quinta on April 07, 2010, 11:06:07 PM
Don't worry about him Caney.....He's a "Harwayian fella"!!!  ;D ;D

LQ,  good to see ya again. Been miissing you!

What - KaHuna - He's precious    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

My Great-uncle had a knickname for my Dad and I - "Morning Glory" in reference to our city upbringing!  This man owned a 20,000 acre working cattle ranch, literally tough as nails, smoked unfiltered camels and roll your owns all his life, lived and worked the ranch for many years with only one kidney, minus a good chunk of intestines and less than one lung (cancer got all that he did not have), but was elder in his church and also president of the local bank for a while.  He used to tell old lily-white me (before I toughened up - he died when I was 9 or 10) what a real man was in his deep gravelly voice (throat cancer) while eating hot calf fries around the fire used for heating up the branding irons. 

According to him a  real man wore jeans, boots, hat, tooled leather belt, a big belt buckle, always carried a bandana and at least 2 knives, smelled of campfire smoke and french perfume, had work-hardened hands, knew how to turn his back to the wind when relieving himself, and used dry cow patties for a pillow. 

Not too sure what he would think of a feller that wears, sun-screen, shorts, silky shirts, and sandals sipping a fruity cocktail with a colorful little umbrella in it all day!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ka Honu

Quote from: Caneyscud on April 08, 2010, 08:23:25 AM...Not too sure what he would think of a feller that wears, sun-screen, shorts, silky shirts, and sandals sipping a fruity cocktail with a colorful little umbrella in it all day!   

If he had a lick of sense, and it sounds like he did, he'd be jealous. 

Just for the record though, I usually wear t-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops (although we call them "rubba slippahs") and don't drink "trops" (tropical drinks).

Caneyscud

Knowing Uncle Joe, he'd probably be there, but he'd own one of those cattle ranches on the Big Island and would have his little bit of Texas around him.  You might catch him in a t-shirt - but more likely a long sleeve khaki shirt, Levis and Luccheses - probably on the beach even.  You gotta know the old time Texas Cowboys born in the 1800's to know what I mean.  No trops in his hand - just a big glass of well water. 

La Quinta

Sorry I've been gone Ka....but yes I do have the bit between my teeth!!!