Recommended temp to pull turkey from smoker

Started by Rich_91360, April 09, 2010, 07:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich_91360

My first bird.
What IT temp taken from thickest part of thigh should I take off smoker realizing temp will continue to rise.  Bird is 12 1/2 pounds. Plan to then place in 325 F oven to crisp skin.

SInce it will be about 6 hours before we eat, should I FTC and pull earlier realizing temp will continue to rise (10 degrees??) or just cool down, place in fridge and then rewarm in 325f (?) oven for 30 minutes?

FLBentRider

I would probably use a target finished IT of 165F in the breast.

I would pull it out of the smoker at 155-160F and FTC until about an hour before serving.

Then into a 350F (I think a little hotter is better for the skin) oven until you get to 162-165F, then rest under foil for 15 minutes before carvng.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

I generally target the thigh for an internal temperature of 165°F. Undercooked dark meat is tough and has a metallic after tasted to it. I don't FTC poultry, but if you do FTC, I would do it right out of the smoker, then before you are ready to serve crisp up the skin in the oven. If you crisp first, FTC will only soften the skin after it has been crisped.

Since I don't FTC poultry, I'm not sure how much carry over you will have. Generally when I take a turkey out of the smoker that size, that has been smoked/cooked at 225°F - 250°F, I may see a rise of 5°F maximum, FTCing will increase the carry over, but I don't know by how much.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)