maple cured bacon question for tenpoint5 or anyone

Started by trapperbruce, April 10, 2010, 09:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapperbruce

I'm looking the making maple cured bacon from recipe tenpoint5 has posted here and it includes
   2oz   kosher salt
   1/4 c maple sugar
   1/4 c maple syrup

2 tsp #1 CURE
MAKES ENOUGH FOR A 5LB BELLY

i haven't received my pork belly yet so don't know the weight ..it may be 31/2 lbs or 41/2 lbs  or 5 lbs ..my question is do i use the same amount of cure for the 31/2 lb size as i would for the 5 lb size .does it only absorb as much as is needed  or do i have to adjust recipe for the weight of belly?   thanks for any help
                                                                       <'))))>< bruce
<'))))><  bruce

Tenpoint5

I do not recommend it but I use that mix for 5lbs and under. If the belly is around the 3# mark I would suggest soaking it for atleast an hour prior to smoking.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

trapperbruce

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 10, 2010, 09:43:59 AM
I do not recommend it but I use that mix for 5lbs and UNDER If the belly is around the 3# mark I would suggest soaking it for atleast an hour prior to smoking.

ok thanks thats the answer i was lookin for . the pork belly im getting is in the 10-12 lb range i believe so im doing 2 dif recipes...if it works out to over 5 lbs then do i double recipe or can i half it if its under 7lbs
                                                                                                           thanks    <'))))><  bruce
<'))))><  bruce