• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Just got my OBS today!

Started by MechMedic130, April 10, 2010, 02:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MechMedic130

Oddly enough with super saver shipping from Amazon I still got it in 2 days. The bad news is the pucks didn't ship with it so of course I can't actually cook anything yet, lol. I'm working all weekend anyways so it probably wasn't reasonable to think I could regardless.

Any prep work I can do to get it ready in advance? I'm hoping to get my pucks in time for next weekend since it's supposed to be in the mid 50's and sunny here.

Advice on what I should do until then?

powrsmoker

First step is to season it and if you don't have pucks you can't do it.  You can play around with it make sure all the parts are working.  Such as the puck advance and the heating element.  You can put all the racks in the dishwasher to get them clean.  Scope out a nice spot outside close to a plug where it will make its home.  Nice pick up. 

classicrockgriller

Funny how that works.

Wasn't in a big hurry to get mine (already had one) and they try to suck you in for for more $$, faster shipment

and bam, it's here.

Nice read on Amazon!

Read the owners manual.

Visit the recipe site for the FAQ's.

And of course ask questions here on the Forum.

Congrats!

Ridgerunr

Can I ask what you paid on amazon?? I just ordered mine yesterday morning, hope it shows up by next weekend...

ArnieM

Welcome MM130.  I've always found Amazon's free shipping to be faster than threatened - except for the pucks.

You could get yourself a small bag of wood chips (hickory?) and place them on the hot plate to get some smoke going for breaking it in.  Don't burn your fingers  ;)
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

MechMedic130

Well, I ended up getting my wood a few days later but then had rain all week. I'm finally out seasoning it tonight though! Using some of the Alder wood at the boards suggestion. Of course I had my first dum dum moment, I didn't realize you had to hold the button down. I just pushed it until a puck dropped and let go, lol. 20 minutes later I'm looking at this thing wondering why it's not smoking. Then reread the directions and slapped my head.

She's smoking good now though!

garbadee

Just use one of the recipes from the forum and you'll be supprised.  I can burn anything but got my OBS and have cooked 12 lbs of pork butt, 1 rack of ribs, 24 ABTs, several Chicken breasts (couple different recipes), 2 kinds of fish, Shrimp, and Scallops.  That was only in 4 days of cooking.  Wasn't too big on scallops and I didn't rinse the brine off the fish enough (very salty but made great sandwitches) but all else was great.  If I can do this, anyone can.

Ed

classicrockgriller

Quote from: garbadee on April 18, 2010, 06:42:43 PM
Just use one of the recipes from the forum and you'll be supprised.  I can burn anything but got my OBS and have cooked 12 lbs of pork butt, 1 rack of ribs, 24 ABTs, several Chicken breasts (couple different recipes), 2 kinds of fish, Shrimp, and Scallops.  That was only in 4 days of cooking.  Wasn't too big on scallops and I didn't rinse the brine off the fish enough (very salty but made great sandwitches) but all else was great.  If I can do this, anyone can.

Ed

OK, reel ole Ed into ..... He's Hooked.

Sounds like you have been a smokin machine.

MechMedic130

Here is the results of my first smoke. It came out nice and juicy, not dry at all. Delicious. Definitely made me happy with my purchase, and made my wife happy I haven't wasted several hundred dollars.

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

Nice job MM130.

Looks like you ace that one.

Now get to smoking something else. ;D

Glad wife enjoyed it. Things will be easier now.

MechMedic130

Ribs will be next. I have some vacation scheduled next week so I'm hoping I can do a Butt during that time. Also planning on doing some of the smoked peanuts I've seen posted with hot sauce. I have a feeling my grill will be a little jealous in the coming weeks.

OU812

Good lookin chicken you did there MM

Cant wait to see your ribs.

Yep, I have to agree with CRG I think MM is hooked.

Ketch22

DTAggie

MM - Great start.  I used to want to go camping every weekend.  Now I want to stay home and try something new in the Bradley every weekend.  Wife hates it as she loves camping.  Teenage kids love it as they hate camping now ( keeps em away from b/f and g/f) but love all the damn BBQ.