What to do to make spicy pork tenderloins

Started by stinger, April 10, 2010, 05:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stinger

What can I ad to my c.bacon dry brine to give it that spicy capicola taste?Any takers any recipies?

Ka Honu

Haven't made any myself but remembered that oakville smoker did a few months ago.  Here's the recipe he quoted.

3rensho

I've got one in the cabinet now using exactly the recipe that Ka Honu linked to.  After curing and before placing in a casing I covered it with a 1:1 mix of a mild Spanish paprika and coarsely ground cayenne.  It' covered with white mold now but still a little soft so I leave it for 2-3 more weeks.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

stinger

Ok I guess I asked the question wrong. How can I give my canadian bacon dry brine some heat?(hot and spicy)

3rensho

I'd guess the same way.  It it's a dry brine then slap some dried hot peppers on meat at the beginning of the cure.  Or maybe ground fresh HabaƱero's.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

pensrock

ground chipotles, cayenne, habs or nagas.  :)

Habanero Smoker

I'll let you know if my experiment worked, just finished smoking two pieces of Canadian bacon. I cured two loins to see if I can get the capsaicin of chile peppers to be drawn into the meat during curing. One I just used one tablespoon of cayenne pepper per pound in the cure mix. The second I made the same cure mix, but made a paste of it using vodka; hoping the alcohol in the vodka would make the capsaicin more soluble in water. I'm going to give it a tastes test tomorrow.

But before I even taste test the bacon, I believe the best way is to wet brine, and inject the loin prior to placing it in the brine.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Habanero Smoker

Stinger;

Had a chance to compare both bacons. When I test tasted the two, I was careful to only eat the meat from the center. The one that I used the vodka to form a paste, the heat did penetrate to the center, but the heat was mild. The other one the heat was only noticeable on the surface.

The reason I used vodka, was that I wanted a neutral flavored alchol beverage, but you can use any liquor you want. A higher proof should work better. But I feel you will get the best results by making a wet cure with the hot pepper mixed in it, then inject with about 10% brine of the green weight.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)