Cleaning my cast iron

Started by ArnieM, April 10, 2010, 05:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Just an FYI.

I love my cast iron cookware.  I discovered this 'thing' lurking under the kitchen sink.  I think my wife calls it a 'vegetable brush'.  It looks like it crawled out of the ocean.  No offense meant to turtles here.  It works great on pots (pea soup tonight), pans and especially ribbed grill pans.  A little coarse salt doesn't hurt either.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

pensrock

I do not use my cast iron grill pan very often cause it is such a pain to clean. I guess its the ridges that make it a pain,

Quarlow

Thats a good brush. And the salt trick works great. Pens, If you get a good seasoning build up on it the ridges will disappear.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Oldman

Cast iron is about all I cook in.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Ka Honu

Quote from: ArnieM on April 10, 2010, 05:52:24 PMNo offense meant to turtles here.

None taken.  Thank you for your consideration.

Quote from: Quarlow on April 10, 2010, 06:06:55 PMPens, If you get a good seasoning build up on it the ridges will disappear.

I've seen some well-seasoned pans but never one with enough buildup to cover the ridges on a grill pan.

Paddlinpaul

I find the trick with cast iron is NEVER use soap. After cleaning with hot water and drying, I rub a light coat of cooking oil over the entire inside surface of the pan and it is ready to use again.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

aha638

If you want a lot of cast iron info, cleaning, seasoning, using, try the forum at http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

Al

ArnieM

Thanks for the link Al. 

I used to use hot water, coarse salt and a paper towel to scrub out the pan, which usually didn't need much scrubbing.  The paper towels could leave some 'frizzles' in the pan.  The brush works great, especially on 'glop' like my pea soup or the ridged grilling pans.

I've only used soap for nasty occasions.  Then, it's wash it, dry it, oil it, reseason it, cool it and oil it; good to go again.

What I really like is that I can use it on the stove top, in the oven, on the grill or over a fire.  Very versatile cookware.  And, a well seasoned pan is pretty close to "non-stick".
-- Arnie

Oldman

QuoteAnd, a well seasoned pan is pretty close to "non-stick".
Amen and the heat is much more even in a cast pan than the rest.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Ka Honu

So today, while making my last pot of gumbo of the season (see note), I realized that my favorite cast iron skillet is almost always at its clean and well-seasoned shiniest after I brown the ingredients and make the roux.  I think the lesson here is that brush, water, and (if necessary) salt are certainly helpful (and I use them regularly) but if you really want to keep your cast iron happy, make gumbo.  Often.

Note:  "Gumbo season" here is defined by whenever I have Andouille in the freezer.  It is officially over after the pot currently simmering is done.  Funny how I timed my restocking trip to NOLA next week to ensure that "out of season" will be mercifully short.  And, as an added bonus, it will be about the only time I can get gumbo as good or better than mine (Restaurant gumbo in Hawaii ranges from mediocre to inedible).  If that weren't enough, I also get to eat in places that know how to make other "not in Hawaii unless I import the ingredients and make it myself" treats (e.g., oysters, beignet, crawfish, etouffee, red beans, cochon de lait, softshell crab, etc.).

Swamp food! I want swamp food!

ArnieM

KH, have fun in NOLA  :D

I used to reserve my cast iron cooking to oil-based stuff.  Now, everything (anything) goes; roux, whatever, even the pea soup.

One of my wintertime favs (yeah, we have snow too) is to put the 12" skillet into the oven and heat to 550.  Then, get the highest power stove top burner on high.  Pull the pan, throw in your favorite steak - about 30 seconds per side.  Back into the oven and cook by time/feel.  I usually call the FD first - lotsa smoke.

Now, KH, tell me about the beignet please.
-- Arnie

Ka Honu

Quote from: ArnieM on April 12, 2010, 05:07:07 PM... put the 12" skillet into the oven and heat to 550.  Then, get the highest power stove top burner on high.  Pull the pan, throw in your favorite steak - about 30 seconds per side.  Back into the oven and cook by time/feel.  I usually call the FD first - lotsa smoke.

Yeah - I do that occasionally, but only if SWMBO isn't home. She thinks I'm burning down the house and goes berserk.

Quote from: ArnieM on April 12, 2010, 05:07:07 PM... tell me about the beignet please.

It's a "French doughnut" made from deep-fried dough and sprinkled (piled) with powdered sugar.  Traditionally eaten with coffee ("enhanced" with chicory) at Cafe du Monde on Jackson Square, it's the second best way to start your day in NOLA (but since SWMBO isn't going with me, I'll have to settle).

iceman

Quote from: Oldman on April 12, 2010, 03:18:46 PM
QuoteAnd, a well seasoned pan is pretty close to "non-stick".
Amen and the heat is much more even in a cast pan than the rest.

Gotta agree with that!!!  ;)