• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Newbie bacon clarification

Started by Mat_M, April 13, 2010, 03:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat_M

Hello again

I want to try this recipe:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=542

A dumb question I have: once I reach the "Sliced, packaged and ready to freeze"  step, is the bacon ready to eat? If you hit an IT of 150°F, that's close to well-done for pork. Or, at this stage, it's ready for cooking in a pan?

Thanks

FLBentRider

Quote from: Mat_M on April 13, 2010, 03:52:03 PM
A dumb question I have: once I reach the "Sliced, packaged and ready to freeze"  step, is the bacon ready to eat? If you hit an IT of 150°F, that's close to well-done for pork. Or, at this stage, it's ready for cooking in a pan?

Yes it is done and safe to eat. If you are going to fry it, use a little lower heat to keep the sugars from burning.

I take my bacon to a lower IT of around 140F since I always fry it anyway.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pensrock

Ketch22

:) Welcome Mat to this Smoking Forum

ArnieM

First off Mat, there are no "dumb questions".  Everyone is here to help each other.

I agree it's edible at 150 but I don't find it very appetizing.  A light frying with a little crisping does wonders.

Canadian bacon, on the other hand, works well when done to 145-150 without frying.  It is much more lean and frying can turn it into shoe leather.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Mat_M on April 13, 2010, 03:52:03 PM
A dumb curiosity question I have: once I reach the "Sliced, packaged and ready to freeze"  step, is the bacon ready to eat? If you hit an IT of 150°F, that's close to well-done for pork. Or, at this stage, it's ready for cooking in a pan?

Thanks

Mat like the guys have said yes it is ready to eat at this point but it does need some heating up basically to render out some of the fat. It really does need a low heat or the sugars will burn and then you end up with a unappetizingly black looking piece of bacon.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Mat_M

Sounds good, thanks for the feedback.  :D

Next question: do you guys have ballpark numbers for how long step 2 will take?
"After you have applied your smoke, increase the heat to 160°F, and smoke/cook the bacon until an internal temperature of 150°F is reached."

Basically I'm wondering, if after the air dry is done, can I get this done within a long morning? Say 6AM start time.

ArnieM

"Next question: do you guys have ballpark numbers for how long step 2 will take?"

I don't.  It depends on how much bacon is in there, ambient temp, wind, etc.  You could increase the cabinet temp to 170 or pull the bacon at 140.  Either will shorten the time somewhat.  The general idea of a low cabinet temp is to avoid rendering the fat out of the bacon so don't go above 170.

If it's not done in your time frame, pull it and put it in a VERY slow oven for a bit.  Or, pull, wrap, fridge and cook it a little more the next day.  The rest can do it some good.

Check this out from Habs (doing my next one this way).  http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=459
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.