• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

rib trimming question

Started by db14, April 15, 2010, 08:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

db14

Question for anyone out there:
Does anyone trim the top on the thick end of bbr's?  Let me try to explain that better.  The ones that I buy tend to have a lot of extra meat sitting on top of one end (the end with the thickest bones, not sure of the technical name so I just call it the thick or fat end.)  There tends to be a layer of fat between the extra meat on top and the "normal" meat that covers the rest of the ribs.  I know they would look better, cook more evenly, and be easier to eat without this meat.  I don't want to waste good meat and could probably smoke it separately.  I know I don't see this meat on the ribs you get at a restaurant.  What does everybody else do with this?

FLBentRider

Quote from: db14 on April 15, 2010, 08:02:41 AM
Question for anyone out there:
Does anyone trim the top on the thick end of bbr's?  Let me try to explain that better.  The ones that I buy tend to have a lot of extra meat sitting on top of one end (the end with the thickest bones, not sure of the technical name so I just call it the thick or fat end.)  There tends to be a layer of fat between the extra meat on top and the "normal" meat that covers the rest of the ribs.  I know they would look better, cook more evenly, and be easier to eat without this meat.  I don't want to waste good meat and could probably smoke it separately.  I know I don't see this meat on the ribs you get at a restaurant.  What does everybody else do with this?

I leave it on. Somehow it ends up on my plate.  ;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

Some leave it on as FLBR said.  It works.  Or, as you suggested, you can cut it off and cook it separately.  Or, you can cut it off and add it to your freezer bag of pork scraps.  Then, you can cook a bunch at once.  Or add it while grinding for sausage.  In any case, don't throw it away  ::)
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

shoresdiver

I concur.  Even when I was trying to smoke ribs on my grill, I have always left this on.  (and fight for those ribs at the table) ;D

Caneyscud

Since it is part of the loin, I leave the meat on.  And save those ribs for the one I love and want to impress! 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

OU812

I leave it on also, the boys and I go for the thick ones and the girls go for the thin ones, makes every one happy.

When you load the racks put the thick ones on one rack and the thin ones on another rack then when you smoke/cook put the thick ones lower than the thin ones, they will cook more evenly.