• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

OBS and wanting a PID

Started by JustusIV, April 15, 2010, 09:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustusIV

So i have an OBS, but to be honest i don't want to baby sit temperatures anymore. I really don't know anything about the PIDs or how to install them. Is there anywhere that can guide me through the process. Exactly what parts i want, installation, usage etc.

ArnieM

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

3rensho

Sure, go to the Auber web site http://www.auberins.com/ and have a gander.  Just plug and play. 
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

love the smoke

and if you want a used one pm me I have both styles the build it yourself and also the single probe plug and play

LTs
LTS

JustusIV

I would be interested in a used on if it saves me some bills :)
A dual probe just reads temps from two locations? whats the advantage of that?

How do most people run the probes into the bradley?

RAF128

Quote from: JustusIV on April 15, 2010, 10:22:43 AM
I would be interested in a used on if it saves me some bills :)
A dual probe just reads temps from two locations? whats the advantage of that?

How do most people run the probes into the bradley?

The advantage to the dual probe is that one probe monitors and controls the tower temp.  The other probe goes in the meat and monitor the meat temp and when programed with shut off the heat in the smoker when the meat reaches the desired IT.

JustusIV

ahhh makes sense, so it would completely replace my ET73

RAF128

Toker

The way i see it, it does not replace the ET-73 completely. If you don't want continually check the temp on your pid, just hook your Maverick, and since they are about 1 degree from each others (pid and Maverick) the Maverick is use as a remote.

Also, when you have more than one pieces of meat in the smoker, EX: you want your meat IT at 195, you know when the 1ST reached 195, the 2ND is not at 195 yet. So, you set your food probe setting on your pid at 200 and your high low alarm on your Maverick at 195. This way, the heater of your smoker does not close and you know when the 1ST reached 195 and can continue cooking the others pieces of meat at the desired temp. Just don't forget to switch the food probe from one piece of meat to an other when the first piece of meat has reached the desired IT and set your pid back at 195 (like in my example) before your last piece of meat end cooking so your smoker can auto shut itself when the last piece has reached 195.

Hop I'M clear enough.

ArnieM

Toker summed it up pretty well.  The difference is:

• The Auber PID controls the smoker, temps and times.
  • The Mav monitors the smoker and meat.  Control is up to you.

And of course, the Mav is remote.  I can sit here typing away and know what's going on in the smoker outside.  But, I may have to go down and adjust the temp.  In theory, you shouldn't have to do that with the PID.

The other advantage of the PID is set it and go to bed.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Tenpoint5

Some additional information was put in an article in the March newsletter. It begins on page 2 March 2010 Newsletter
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

RAF128

I keep forgetting that most here do more than one piece of meat at a time in their smoker.     I'm still stuck on one project at a time.   Maybe someday that will change.

jiggerjams

Hi Tenpoint5,

How can I sign up to receive the newsletter?

Thanks,
JJ

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: jiggerjams on April 15, 2010, 08:02:05 PM
Hi Tenpoint5,

Thanks,
JJ

Send him an email at [email protected] to let him know you want to be on the list.

The newsletter is great!
HawkeyeSmokes

Tenpoint5

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on April 15, 2010, 08:18:11 PM
Quote from: jiggerjams on April 15, 2010, 08:02:05 PM
Hi Tenpoint5,

Thanks,
JJ

Send him an email at [email protected] to let him know you want to be on the list.

The newsletter is great!
Yep that will work
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!