• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Makin' Bacon confusion --- with photos.....

Started by Smokeville, April 21, 2010, 07:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

Hello all;

Finally, I'm trying bacon, using Tenpoint5's recipe.

My confusion is over the cure recipe quantities versus my scale and what the Prague Powder package says....

The recipe is 2oz kosher salt about 1/4 cup. My scale, which is accurate, says 1/4 cup weighs 1.25oz. I'm using Diamond Crystal kosher salt which I've used for everything else....

Also, I have Prague Powder which is not pink, but contains salt, sodium nitrite 6.4%, sodium bicarbonate 1%. It seems right but the package says use 3grams per 1kg (2.2lb) of meat. That means I should use 6 grams for my 4.4lb. However, the recipe calls for 2 tsp, which weighs 9grams.

As this is a first try, I don't have a lot of confidence.

Advice please!!!

Thanks, Rich

ArnieM

Rich, go by the package instructions on the Prague powder.  More is not better.

Weight vs volume can vary quite a bit on salt depending on how coarse of fine it is.  I use Morton coarse Kosher salt.  I just checked and 1/4 cup weighed in at 64 grams - 2 ounces.

I always go by weight rather than volume whenever possible.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

3rensho

I too only use weights.  Bulk densities vary all over the place and it's easy to go wrong.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

KevinG

I concur - weights are far better for measuring then volume.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Smokeville

Thanks, everyone.

I went by weight so all should be ok.

It's in the fridge oozing away.....

ArnieM

So is mine Rich.  Same recipe.  Went into the fridge this morning.  Make sure you keep flopping or shaking it around.

I'm going with the three day smoke after it's cured.  A good part of the fun is learning and experimenting.
-- Arnie

Smokeville

Quote from: ArnieM on April 21, 2010, 04:14:20 PM
So is mine Rich.  Same recipe.  Went into the fridge this morning.  Make sure you keep flopping or shaking it around.

I'm going with the three day smoke after it's cured.  A good part of the fun is learning and experimenting.

So true, Arnie.

Curing like this makes me a bit nervous, though. That's why I've waited so long to try.

My Facebook status reads "Rich is making maple bacon..... it's in the cure for 7 days and if it doesn't kill me you can have a taste..."

So far I've got 4 replies.

FLBentRider

Quote from: Smokeville on April 22, 2010, 05:49:29 AM
Curing like this makes me a bit nervous, though. That's why I've waited so long to try.

My Facebook status reads "Rich is making maple bacon..... it's in the cure for 7 days and if it doesn't kill me you can have a taste..."

I wouldn't be nervous.

You are curing for flavor, not preservation, and you will be cooking it to a safe IT anyway.

And if it turns out like mine, you won't have to worry about it being around that long anyway.

These curing methods were developed before refrigeration. Curing wasn't for flavor, it was to keep the meat from spoiling.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

Don't worry Rich, you'll be around for a while  :D

There are three main things the cure (pink salt/sodium nitrite) does.  One is color as in corned beef, pastrami and bacon.  You could cure in salt.  It takes longer and the meat comes out gray-colored.  Another, as FLBR said, is flavor.  You have the salt from the cure and any other flavors, savory or sweet that you might care to add. 

The most important is "short term protection".  Bacon is smoked and cooked slowly at a fairly low temp.  Basically, 'done' but not baked.  I do it at a cabinet temp of about 160-165 average.  That means the bacon is in the "danger zone", roughly 45-135oF for quite a while.  The cure keeps the bacteria away in that temp range.

After 140, you're good to go.  I usually go 145-150 and that's only because the bacon slab is pretty thin and I can't be sure the temp is even across the whole slab.
-- Arnie

Smokeville

I just checked the side panel on the boxes of kosher salt I've got.

Amazingly, the Diamond Crystal brand is almost 1/2 the weight per volume over Morton's. I always wondered why the box was so much bigger! I bought a lot of Morton's on a trip to the US recently because it is 1/2 the price of DC kosher salt here.

And, interestingly, that means instead of being 1/2 the price, it is really 1/4 the price, if I did my arithmetic correctly.....

Tenpoint5

Sorry I am late to the show but it appears the guys have you straightened out. When you are finished with your bacon. I will give this advice do not cook your bacon on high heat like commercial bacon. If you do you will burn it at least the outside. Our Bacon has a much higher sugar content and that is what will burn on your bacon if you cook on high heat. If you added the extra Maple powder as I do, You will be able to use the bacon as an alarm clock. Just start frying some up and the maple smell will drift down the hallway and drag everyone out of bed.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smokeville

Thanks, Tenpoint5.

I didn't use the maple powder... I will have to try and find it. Good to know about the burning. Usually I do bacon in the oven in a cast iron fry pan because it cooks evenly and doesn't curl....

Rich

BuyLowSellHigh

Correct - Diamond Crystal is less dense than Morton's.  Morton's is ~ 8 0z per cup, Diamond Crystal is about 5.5 oz/cup.  Use weight and you will be fine.

Eric
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

ArnieM

-- Arnie

Bavind

Quote from: ArnieM on April 21, 2010, 04:14:20 PM

I am a little confused about a three day smoke????? never seen that before