• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Panic has set in

Started by oldsweat, April 22, 2010, 07:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsweat

Well picked up to chickens to smoke and low and behold, from the research I've done I need to cure them. So being the new guy I searched cure on the forum and every one talks about #1 cure.  Can  make a cure or do I need to buy this, I can't seem to find any here in Yellowknife.  Can I skip this?  I was just going to smoke at 220 for four hours and get my IT proper.  Oh and I do plan on putting it in a Brine the morning of.

Currently I only have the variety pack and a pack of hickory (have others on order), could I use a mix of the cherry and apple that came in the variety pack?

Thanks for helping the newbie.

KevinG

Cure #1 is sodium nitrite. Prague powder, morton tender quick, and pink salt are other names for it. You really shouldn't skip it for slow & low cooking as it prevents botulism. Usually above 200 is safe, but I always cure my poultry. I would rather be safe than sorry.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

OU812

No need to panic and no need for cure#1 just brine your birds.

Go to the recipe site there are plenty of brines there.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=d29098b6b2b6765cb5c650dff5e41b0e&f=180

Edit: I try to cook my birds at a cabnet temp of 250 F

pensrock

I would cook and smoke at 250 and it will be fine. Put some oil on the skin to help it crisp some but it may still be rubbery if you do not crisp it on a grill or a hot oven. Hickory will be good I like apple as well.

oldsweat

Ok so will check out the Brines and just tossing this out there;

Smoke for 4 hours at 250 and watch for it to be 165.   thoughts?

3rensho

QuoteCure #1 is sodium nitrite. Prague powder, Morton Tender Quick, and pink salt are other names for it

Actually, just to be accurate -

1)  There are two types of Prague Powder.  No. 1 and No.2.  No.1 contains NaNO2 and NaCl.  Prague No. 2 contains NaNO2, NaNO3 and NaCl.

2)  Morton Tender Quick contains both NaNO2 and NaNO3 in addition to sugar(?) and NaCl and maybe some bicarb.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

FLBentRider

I have done a lot of brined chickens, never cured one.

IMHO - You don't need to cure a chicken if you are going to cook it at or above 225F, which I do.

In addition, I do not beleive that chickens benefit from the low and slow, since they are already fairly tender to begin with.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Quote from: oldsweat on April 22, 2010, 08:22:12 AM
Ok so will check out the Brines and just tossing this out there;

Smoke for 4 hours at 250 and watch for it to be 165.   thoughts?

Dependin how strong you like your smoke 4 hr might be a little much. I use 2 hr Apple or Alder when doin chicken.

Poultry will take on the smoke much easier than the red meat.

Cook at 250/260 and pull out when the IT hits 160 F works for me, the IT will clime wile its restin.

If you want crispy skin pull the birds out of the smoker when the IT hits 150 F throw on a HOT grill and finish to an IT of 160 F turnin as needed. Keep an eye on the temp of them birds as it can climb rather quick.

deb415611

I don't usually go over 2 hours for chicken.  I like to use cherry for chicken.

oldsweat

Ok so with the chicken I plan on doing  :-[Beef Side ribs.  From what I have read, I should be putting these on first, very early morning slow and low via a rib recipe. When they are done FTC them and start the chickens after lunch.  Going to get more schooled on the ribs as I'm getting the feeling that they will take longer. 

FLBentRider

How many chickens?

How much do they weigh?

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

Take a deep breathe.

You have some great help here.

Just tell everyone excataly what you want to smoke. ;D

DTAggie

I never cured or brined my birds when using Brinkman charcoal smoker for many years.  Have done one bird on OBS and did not brine or cure and it was just fine.

oldsweat

Ok the birds are about 4.2 pounds each for two. I will put them in a brine at around midnight and leave them over night.

I will sort out my ribs tonight, membrane and rub and wrap into fridge.

Planned on smoking the ribs for about 3 hours and then wrap and juice for 3hours at 200.  After lunch say two pm, I would put the chicken in at 220, if ribs need more I would either put them with the chicken or place in oven (thoughts?)  I would like to eat around 6pm.  Let me know what you think.

FLBentRider

Chickens always seem to take longer than I think.

I would put the chickens in and after the smoke was done, (or about 30 minutes before you want to eat if they are not done) pop them into a 350F oven. This will help crisp the skin up as well.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!