• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Baltimore

Started by deb415611, April 22, 2010, 04:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deb415611

Restaurant suggestions?

We are going next week for a long weekend to visit our son at college.  My husband & son are going to the Red Sox-Oriole game on Sat night.   So Sat night will probably be ballpark food for them (but not me ;D). 

My son sent this suggestion   Corner Stable and said they had the best ribs.  (I sent him an email asking him if he wanted to rephrase & to remember who pays his tuition :D)

FLBentRider

I'd shoot an email / PM to begolf25.

and spend some time with some blue crabs.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

deb415611

Thanks FL.  I sent a pm to Bryan this morning,  I'm going to try to stop by Yard & Pool while I'm down there.

I wish I could eat some blue crabs.   No shelled food for me >:(  I need to be able to breathe.

FLBentRider

Quote from: deb415611 on April 22, 2010, 05:06:33 PM
Thanks FL.  I sent a pm to Bryan this morning,  I'm going to try to stop by Yard & Pool while I'm down there.

I wish I could eat some blue crabs.   No shelled food for me >:(  I need to be able to breathe.

Bummer on the shelled fish...

I heard of a place on food network called Chaps pit beef. I have it waypointed for our summer trip.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

deb415611

Thanks.  I'll check Chaps out.

My cousin & I did a couple food network places this weekend in CT.  The arepas at the Venezuelan place that was on Diner's, Drive Ins & Dives are pretty tasty.  We also got some pies from the woman that was on Bobby Flay throwdown - Bourbon Chocolate Pecan - good stuff.

NePaSmoKer

Ka Honu

Crab cakes, darlin', crab cakes; absolutely nothing says "Bal'mer" like crab cakes.  The best are at Faidley's (downtown in the Lexington Market) or at G&M (Linthicum near the airport).  I'm a Faidley's guy myself but that's only because I like wandering around the market better than sitting in a dining room at G&M.  Both are great and if you don't go to one of them, you haven't been to Bal'mer.

deb415611

Thanks Nepas - that looks place looks good.

FL - Chaps website & sandwich picture  looks good (but click on the directions and look at the satelite image - the pic is a gentlemans club ;D  )

Ka Honu - want to eat crab cakes, love crab but I'm allergic to them, as much as I love food breathing takes priority  :D.   My son loves them so we may check one of those out.  Both are convenient - we are staying in the inner harbor and UMBC is very close to the airport.  When we do our quick trips down in Sept & end of May to drop him off & pick him up we'll definately try G&M since we stay in Linthicum on those trips. 

Thanks guys! 

Ka Honu

Allergic to crabs?  You poor thing!

The next best thing is a great brew pub & restaurant - The Brewer's Art (website here).  They're pretty good at helping you forget you can't have crab cakes and have been one of our faves for years.  For a fun breakfast, you might try Cafe Hon (website) in Hampden (a neighborhood about 4 miles or so north of Inner Harbor) but be prepared for the pink flamingo/big hair look.

FLBentRider

Quote from: deb415611 on April 23, 2010, 03:35:50 AM
FL - Chaps website & sandwich picture  looks good (but click on the directions and look at the satelite image - the pic is a gentlemans club ;D  )

LOL

Hopefully thats a google glitch...

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

I figured it out...

It looks like they share the same parking lot with the gentlemens club.

At the street level if you pan to the left you can see Chaps pit beef. With people standing out the door, that's a sign of good food.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

Closest I got to Baltimore this weekend was Havre de Grace.  Ate some pit beef - was good, especially with horseyradish.  SIL said the pit turkey was excellent.  Everybody was having chicken BBQ fundraisers.  And others were selling mud (usually small fire halls) - whatever that is! 

Other side of the bay, had some crab at the Tap Room in Chesapeake City.  Not great, but not bad - they weren't spicy enough. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

deb415611

Thanks for the recommendations that everyone gave us,  we didn't make it to them but we will hit Ka Honu's G&M recommendation when we go down in a couple weeks when the semester ends.  We'll hit some of the others in our future trips.

I'll start with the bad....

My son & his friend really wanted to go to the Corner Stable  They claim to have Baltimore's best ribs.  There are several awards hanging on the wall, etc.  The ribs were not that great.   They weren't smoked and had no flavor.   They were covered with a sweet tomato based sauce which also didn't have flavor.  Somewhere (menu or website) they say they slow roast for 24 hours which I believe.  The meat was pretty close to mush  :o. 

The good.... 

Miss Shirley's  This place is great...  We picked my son up Saturday afternoon and went here for a late lunch.  They serve breakfast & lunch the entire time they are open.  Everything we had there was great:

Amy's Bagel (Triple-Sliced Bagel with Smoked Salmon, Red Tomato, Cucumber, Bermuda Onion, Mixed Greens, Swiss Cheese, Cream Cheese & Capers) and Savory Grits (Heavy Cream, Mascarpone Cheese, Chives, Applewood-Smoked Bacon & Tomatoes)

those grits were incredible :o

only part of the bagel is showing

the pics are big so I'm doing click to enlarge ones

Sassy Smithfield Sammich (Smithfield Ham, Benne Seed Fried Boneless Chicken Piece, Fried Egg & White Cheddar Between Two Waffles) this pic is without the egg

whole:

cut:

Kev wanted to go for breakfast the next day:

The Mac Crabby (5-Ounces of Jumbo Lump Crab Meat Mac & Cheese with a Blend of Four Cheeses, Crab Claw Garnish & Dusted with Old Bay)   he said the crab to mac ratio was good, I saw some decent chunks of crab come out of the bowl

Grilled Breakfast Kabobs (Breakfast Turkey Sausage, Fingerling Potato, Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Granny Smith Apple, Roma Tomato, Cremini Mushrooms & Bell Pepper with Mango glaze)

the turkey breakfast sausage had good flavor & texture.  The Applewood-Smoked Bacon was really good. 

They even had great coffee ;D

Caribou

:o :o :o :o :o
I want to go to Balitmore NOW!!!
Carolyn

deb415611

Quote from: Caribou on May 08, 2010, 08:57:37 PM
:o :o :o :o :o
I want to go to Balitmore NOW!!!
Carolyn

I think I sent you the pic of the view from the room but.....  It's would be a great place to bring kids, from the room we could  see the aquarium and the science center.  Also we could watch the kids paddle the dragon boats in the harbor.  There is also a children't museum that is walking distance. 

Kent & Kevin did the tour of the USS Constellation (the tall ship on the right)