• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

membrane on ribs

Started by bears fan, April 23, 2010, 08:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bears fan

So, my first experience was not so good trying to remove the membrane on the spare ribs.  As a matter of fact I gave up and said what can this really matter.  So I now pose the question....what will it matter if I didn't remove it?  I'm going to smoke them tomorrow and have them all rubbed down.  Am I going to mess the ribs up by not taking the membrane off?  Is there something I should do before I smoke them?

classicrockgriller

IMOP, is a difference.

That is a tough membrane that does not cook good, unless you grill them rib side down.

Event then you take a chance.

If you can get the membrane started, I like to use a paper towel to grab it and even pull.

If the membrane or paper towel tears, get a new paper towel and get after it again.

It maybe alright if you don't remove it, but it will be chewey.

DTAggie

I agree with Classic.  First ribs I did I did not take membrane off and it was rather disgusting when cooked.  Use the bottom end of a spoon or butter knife to slide under the membrane to get it started and it should pull back easily.

There is a thread with pics on here to show you how, I just do not have the link to post.

Habanero Smoker

Check You Tube, there are many videos demonstrating different ways to remove the membrane. You should find at least one that works for you.

I agree with the above posts. The membrane is tough, it does not allow much of the seasoning and smoke to penetrate to the meat that is on the underside of the ribs. When grilling at a higher temperatures, the membrane has a tendency to shrink and curl the rib; contributing to uneven cooking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

I believe this is the thread that was referenced. How To Make Ribs in a Bradley
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

What happens is that that membrane turns into leather and can make the ribs seem tough,
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Wildcat

Buy a set of catfish skinners.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

KevinG

Even some needle nose pliers work good, just got to get a pair that has some teeth on them, not the smooth kind.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

db14

I have made ribs many times and can offer a couple pieces of advice.  First, I have always found that the membrane is a lot easier to remove on baby back ribs.  I'm sure it depends on how the ribs you're buying are cut also, but the last time I bought some STL style ribs I swore I'd never go through it again.  Second, the technique I use is just to grab the membrane with a paper towel.  The main issue with the membrane becomes grip.  It pulls off reasonably easily as long as you can hold on to it.  Make a criss-cross cut directly on the back of one of the rib bones and peel up the corner.  Grab with the paper towel between your thumb and forefinger and start pulling.  You can usually get the whole thing off in about 3 or 4 pieces and about five minutes.

I think if you were cooking the ribs any other way the membrane wouldn't be much of a worry.  Smoking them the way that you will in a Bradley the will be siting face up the whole time and you really want to allow the smoke to penetrate through the bottom side. 
The membrane greatly hinders this process and will effect the over taste as a result.

Infalable

First time I tried it took me a while to get the hang of it. Once you figure it out it gets easier.

hal4uk

Use a butter knife - or somethin' not too sharp...
Slide under the membrane at a BONE - very easy to get it started lifting away there.
Then, like others said, grab it with a paper towel and give it an even steady pull.
Don't "score" it - that just makes a place to start over again.

STLs are just as easy as back ribs.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby