Hamalina

Started by KevinG, April 24, 2010, 11:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinG

Friends at work said that my Javelina recipe was a fluke, no way I could do it again. So I gots to prove them wrong. Started Monday soaking another 1/4 of the pig in my brine. I decided to get an early start this morning at 5:45 so I wouldn't have to rush it this time. So far so good. IT is at 115 now.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Tenpoint5

Must be nice to sleep in!! I already had an hour of smoke rolling!! ;D ;D Funny how we fall for that line that it was just a fluke and that we can't do it again. Guess if they just said Can I have some more we might not make it as soon. You doing the Long smoke on your ham like I am?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KevinG

Ran out of apple pucks, only did two hours this time. I don't think it'll hurt it too much as I only did 3 hours last time.

classicrockgriller

NO PICTURES ....... NO COMMENTS! ;D

Yep, you've shut me up too.

KevinG

I catch on quick - I saw 10.5's easy method.  ;D

KevinG

Just joshin - figured the pics are just going to be the same as the first set. I'll hit a couple now just to keep the peeps lookin.

KevinG

Ok, here's the little piggy after brine, season, bacon wrap, cheescloth, tied, smoked and heating.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: KevinG on April 24, 2010, 12:22:37 PM
Ok, here's the little piggy after brine, season, bacon wrap, cheescloth, tied, smoked and heating.

Is he made out of LEAD? That you had to use three racks to hold him up.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KevinG

;D ;D Optical dillusion  :D It's only two racks. I found out the hard way that the temp probes and racks get hot when pre-heating making it very difficult to put them in. So now I leave one rack in and hook up the probe to it, then put the food on another on top of it. Keeps my fingers white instead of brown streaked.  ;)

Rich_91360

what was the dressed weight?

KevinG

He weighed 40 lbs. after gutting & before skinning. But total meat at the end was somewhat dismal cause of the fight he put up.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: KevinG on April 24, 2010, 06:35:18 PM
He weighed 40 lbs. after gutting & before skinning. But total meat at the end was somewhat dismal cause of the fight he put up.

What fight??? You stunk so bad after walking all over them hills all day that he thought you was one of them and walked up and asked "What's for dinner buddy?" You had to back up to get far enough away to shoot him! ;D ;D

KevinG

ROTFLMAO  ;D ;D ;D

KevinG

I decided to shake things up a little to see what would happen. After smoking I laid out some aluminum foil and put the meat in it, then splashed with some apple juice and sealed up.

Once the IT finally hit, I opened it up and there was a lot of juice. I had to pour it out so it wouldn't spill all over the place. Camera started acting up, so kinda blurry.

After cutting up, had some fine lookin hamalina.

Cooked up some beans and tried it hot again. Stupid camera wouldn't focus, should've used the new one.

This method tasted a lot less gamey hot, but lost some of the ham flavor. I'll have to see how it tastes after a day cooling off.

Tenpoint5

No wonder you got done so fast YOU CHEATED you steamed yours!!! Still looks good though hoping to be cutting mine here soon.