• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Getting started with bacon and hams!

Started by smokingthemidwest, April 25, 2010, 06:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokingthemidwest

Hello everybody I have a quick question. Getting a hog in two weeks. Talked to the butcher and he is going to give me the hams fresh and the pork belly. I was just wondering if there was any good books or anywhere i can get good information about curing and smoking the bacon and ham. This will be my first attempt at it so I don't want anything to complicated. Thank you in advance. Smoking the midwest

3rensho

Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

KevinG

Not at home now, but these are some of the books I got, I believe the one pertaining to ham and bacon would be Meat smoking and smokehouse design but will check when I get home tonight.

Meat Smoking and Smokehouse Design
Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing
Charcuterie
Cold-Smoking & Salt Curing Meat, Fish & Game
The Smoked-Foods Cookbook
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

3rensho

Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

smokingthemidwest

Thanks for the info i will look through it. Another question is where can i order those nets to make hams? Or if i can get them local i will do that. Thank you in advance

Tenpoint5

Quote from: smokingthemidwest on April 25, 2010, 01:37:28 PM
Thanks for the info i will look through it. Another question is where can i order those nets to make hams? Or if i can get them local i will do that. Thank you in advance
Talk with your butcher he may be able to sell you a couple.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KevinG

Here's a link to where you can find some netting if your butcher isn't willing to part with any.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/search.aspx?find=netting

smokingthemidwest

Thanks i will ask him when i drop off the hog. He said he will leave the pork bellies and the hams fresh. I was reading on here that maybe i should see if he will take the skin off? This will be my first attempt so if that easier maybe i will see if he can do it. Thanks for the info. stm

KevinG

I checked and Meat smoking and smokehouse design does touch on the history.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: smokingthemidwest on April 25, 2010, 02:55:27 PM
Thanks i will ask him when i drop off the hog. He said he will leave the pork bellies and the hams fresh. I was reading on here that maybe i should see if he will take the skin off? This will be my first attempt so if that easier maybe i will see if he can do it. Thanks for the info. stm
Most of the small locker plants around here in Eastern Iowa all skin their hogs, so he may do it that way anyhow.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

smokingthemidwest

Thanks for all the great information. Where do you normally get powder dextrose around north western illinois? Thank you for your help

BuyLowSellHigh

Here's another source.   The site is mostly about making sausages, but down near the bottom of the formulations section are a number of recipes for cured meats that includes variations on bacon and hams.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

smokingthemidwest

Sorry for all the questions but if i am going to do my ham like 10.5 what wood should i use to smoke it?? I was like going for eight hours of hickory is that going to be to much?? Thank you

Tenpoint5

I am a 8 hour Hickory Man myself when it comes to Hams. North Western Illinois huh? How far is you from East Dubuque, Il?

smokingthemidwest

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 28, 2010, 07:22:04 PM
I am a 8 hour Hickory Man myself when it comes to Hams. North Western Illinois huh? How far is you from East Dubuque, Il?

About 1.5 hours south east of you. Did some work in dubuque, on lock and dam must of been a couple years ago.