• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

FTC Question

Started by EZ Smoker, April 27, 2010, 11:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ Smoker

Back in November I smoked a pork butt, planning to eat around 7:15 pm or so.   I had planned on a couple of hours for FTCing... but for some reason the meat cooked faster than I intended.   I had to pull it out of the smoker at 2:15 pm.   I had just finished lunch, so I FTC'd for 5 hours.   I didn't check the IT after FTCing, but let me tell you it was very, very hot.   The meat was wonderful.   Often, I FTC for two hours and get pretty much the same results. 

So here's my question:  for pork butts, briskets, and ribs, how long do I really need to FTC to get the perfect results I'm looking for.   Would one hour be just as good as two hours?   Or would I be disappointed in the result if I pulled it out after 1 hour of FTCing?  I usually plan for 2.5 hours to FTC, to give myself wiggle room if the cook time goes a little faster or slower than I expect.  (Then I can add or subtract 30 min of FTC time without any problem.)   FTCing is a great way to ensure that the meat is hot at mealtime, but what is the shortest time I can FTC and still get the fantastic results I get from my 2.5 hour FTC? 

It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

classicrockgriller

Ftc'ing is kinda talked about in a loose way.

Say if you cook something to 190, but you want it to have an IT of 195 to 200.

FTC will do it.

After it reaches it's max temp it will cool down and draw back juices.

That is where the longer FTC comes into play.

Plus the 3, 4, 5 hr FTC's will bring your meat to your desired IT,

then start to cool, drawning back the juices and some what hold your meat at a safe temp

till you want to eat it.

Actually the shortest time to FTC would depend on the bulk of the meat your are FTC'ing and the IT you removed it.

"They" say if you cook a steak on the grill, then cover it for 15 minutes or so. I never can wait that long. ;D

Here's a suggestion. Smoke/cook something and take your Maverick meat probe and watch the temp while it is in FTC.

It will climb and then start to cool.

I would guess that 15* or so after the peak you are probably close to good to go.

I'm sure others here have thoughts on this and I would be happy to hear their thoughts.

I hope this helps.

Habanero Smoker

For butts and brisket I prepare them a day or more ahead of time. I rarely FTC, and never for poultry or cuts that are considered tender. For tough cuts I go by a combination of internal temperature, and the fork test method. I feel that FTC is a good way to hold your meat for a few hours if your butt or brisket gets done early, and you are waiting for serving time.

Here is a link to a quick explanation of the "carryover effect". When you add in FTC, the rise will be higher then what the article states, for the fact that the heat at the surface can not escape and cool as fast.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

db14

Do most use a single layer of foil in FTC or two?

FLBentRider

Quote from: db14 on April 28, 2010, 11:38:19 AM
Do most use a single layer of foil in FTC or two?

It depends on wether I'm "going long" or not. Usually one though.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

RAF128

I read somewhere here to use 2 wraps of foil, and 2 towels.

classicrockgriller

I use two, it controls the moisture steam better and also if you happen to have a hole or tear in the first you got back-up.

squirtthecat

I put my (insert meat here) in a heavy foil pan, then cover that w/ 2 pieces of heavy foil.  Then it all goes into the cooler w/ the towels.

db14

I was thinking two would be best just for the reason mentioned by CRG.  It's so easy to get a hole or tear in the foil, so two layers couldn't hurt.

EZ Smoker

Thanks, this is really helpful.

btw... I just ordered a dual probe (PID) and a Maverick ET-73.  Should make smoking even easier. 
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.