• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

NEED HELP WITH FIRST PRIME RIB

Started by npuglin, April 29, 2010, 03:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

npuglin

I just got the Bradley Digital Electric, and I got talked into Prime Rib right out of the gate. I know, not wise. I have a 7lb, boneless rib roast.

I know the cooking temp is 220, internal meat temp for rare 125-130. What Idon't know is how many minutes per pound should anticipate cooking it for. In addition, how much somke is too much?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
NP

OU812

My thoughts on a Prime Rib is to smoke it with 2 hr Oak at a cabnet temp of
200 F till the  IT is 120 F then take out, tent and allow to rest, the temp will rise to around 125. When the It drops to 120 pop that baby in a HOT oven, say 500 F and finish to about 5 deg below the IT your lookin for.

For me the rest is when the magic happens.

FLBentRider

That Rib roast should take about four or five hours to get to 125F Internal Temperature. Maybe less.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

watchdog56

I have done 2- 5 lb roasts 2 different times and they took between 3 1/2 to 4 hours each time.

classicrockgriller

JUst remember if you are going to FTC for a while, you need to  stop your Cooking before you reach the set IT.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

npuglin

Sounds BRILLIANT! How long do you think a 7 pounder will cook to 125, I'm trying to plan dinner around the fight Saturday night.
Thanks again for the quick response!
NP

StickyDan

NOt sure if this will help but I just did a prime rib a couple weeks ago.  Took about 8hrs.  Sorry, i don't remember how much it weighed.  I cooked/smoked at about 200-220 deg.  The roast tasted great however it didn't turn out quite the way I wanted it to.  It was cooked to an IT of rare/medium rare but it was not juicy at all.  It wasn't dry, just not juicy.  Could it have been a bad cut of meat?  Not sure, but next time I do one I'll try a few different things.  First off, getting a good quality thermometer will help (got a maverick on order) and secondly, I think the roast would be better off cooked at a higher temp for less time.  I think I will try about 250 - 275 deg.  I'm hoping the higher temp will help melt some of the fat content and hopefully make for  a juicier piece of meat.   good luck.

watchdog56

I am guessing probably 4 hours if you take IT to 125-130. Here is what I did last time,was good but next time going to add some more slat and pepper.

March 14 2010. Smoked a prime rib. Let wet age for 2 days.Made a rub on March 12 using;
Outside temp was 50.
1 cup coarse ground salt (kosher salt)
2 cups black pepper
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup granulated garlic
1/3 cup oregano
1/4 cup spanish paprika
1/2 cup minced garlic

Put heavy coat on meat and back into frig in plastic bag. Turned over every 12 hours. Preheated
smoker to 250 then turned down to 225. Took prime rib out of frig and let get to room
temp. Put bacon strips on top, then into smoker. Smoked 2 hours using hickory,mesquite
ratio(2 H,1 M). Put foil over 1 end and cooked until IT hit 130. Wrapped in foil for 2 hour.
Preheated oven to broil and broiled for 10 minutes. Took 3 hours in smoker. Next time maybe
a little more salt and pepper.

oakrdrzfan

The prime ribs I have done take about 4 hours to reach 125 F internal temp.