• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Lookie What I Found!

Started by classicrockgriller, April 29, 2010, 06:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

We don't have ANY RABBITS out here....they are cute....now if somebody can tell me how to get rid of fruit rats....that would be awesome.... ???

Tenpoint5

Had the same thing happen to me last year with baby bunnies about the same size. Looked at probably the same web site you looked at and read the same answer. Did the same thing only difference was my big Lab brought the 3 babies to me one at a time and never hurt any of them. I was surprised.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: La Quinta on April 29, 2010, 08:44:38 PM
We don't have ANY RABBITS out here....they are cute....now if somebody can tell me how to get rid of fruit rats....that would be awesome.... ???

Hide your fruit or tell them the neighbors have better fruit or put out some wax fruit. ;D

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 29, 2010, 08:45:15 PM
Had the same thing happen to me last year with baby bunnies about the same size. Looked at probably the same web site you looked at and read the same answer. Did the same thing only difference was my big Lab brought the 3 babies to me one at a time and never hurt any of them. I was surprised.

Now that is a great dog.

DTAggie

My Golden will bring them alive, the weenie dog (yes I know a real Mutt & Jef combo) kills them then brings them.

classicrockgriller

TTNuge

Baby rabbits don't win a fight against a pressure washer, I know that much for certain.  And no, it wasn't on purpose, they were behind a bush right up next to a house we were cleaning before repainting.  Didn't end well for the rabbits.

OU812

Every spring when I let my short hairs run in the pasture they retrieve little bunnys and bring them to me.

I take the bunnys from the girls and scold them, dont want them pointin rabbits come huntin season.

I just drop the bunnys where I'm stantin and carry on workin the dogs.

A couple days ago Tucker and I were walkin around the side of the barn and sittin about 5' right in front of us was a big ole rabbit. We froze and the stand off begins, the rabbit turned gettin ready to run and I told Tucker to GET HIM.

You should have seen the grass kickin up as the chase was on. Tucker got really close as the rabbit did what they do. Turn hard right, tucker turned almost as hard, I bet his inside hip was only 1" off the ground as he turned.

The rabbit shot into the pasture and Tucker was only about 1' behind. About 5 min later Tucker came out about 25 yd were he went in, went back to were they went in and shot in there again. Did that a couple times before he gave up.

Tucker is the only dog I want chasin rabbits and if the rabbit would have stayed in the yard a min more I think Tucker would of got him.

He was wound up after that, man that little dog can cut and chase.

classicrockgriller

Update on my little furry buddies.

I put them back out in some tall grass (I got plenty) close to where I found them.

I checked on them twice a day.

One was gone on second day, but the other was right where I put it.

This morning it was gone and I took a couple more steps in the grass

and the mother hops off not too far from where I was at.

So all is good in Bunny Land. The End.

Quarlow

Nice work Sonny. Gotta luv them little bunnies.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Gizmo

When I was a pre-teenager, we found some abandoned baby rabbits and tried to hand feed them to keep them alive.  Didn't work.  After that I raised domestc rabbits for a few years.  If you handled the babies, the mothers would eat the babies.  If you put your hand in front of the mother's nose and let her smell your hand, she wouldn't eat them.  
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

classicrockgriller

I read not to handle them a bunch. (and 10.5's advise)

I didn't.

I wanted to. ;D

I know where Momma lives, and if I see no Babies tomorrow, well I'm not looking. ;D

Caneyscud

Got a couple of wet ones almost that size that were sitting at the entrance of their nest trying to dry out this morning.  Looking at the debris in the yard from the water overflowing the bar ditch out front, the nest had to have been underwater at some time.  The other nest, I did not look into this morning. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"