• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Falling off the bones.............

Started by rdevous, May 01, 2010, 01:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdevous

I've heard numerous times on cooking shows that "If the meat is falling off the bone...it's over cooked!"  I was wondering what the forum thinking is on the subject?

I personally do not have a problem with it.  I've been served plenty of meat clinging to the bones with a death grip and dry as sand!

Ray

If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

Habanero Smoker

For ribs I like a little more texture, so I don't like the meat cooked to a point it is falling off the bone. When I bite into a rib I like to feel a little tug when the meat comes cleanly off the bone. I mostly smoke/cook spare ribs and never had a problem with them drying out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BuyLowSellHigh

It depends on what you're cooking and what was intended.  It can be either a good thing or a sign that things were taken too far.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

FLBentRider

It's a personal thing.

We can't even agree in our own family! Some like a little tug, others want little tug.

I assume we're talking ribs here.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

MechMedic130

I like the meat to fall of the bone. I actually like my ribs just a little on the dry side also, not sand dry, just enough to kind of contrast with the sauce. Still juicy, but not really juicy enough to make a big wet mess when you chew it.

I also don't like having to spend an hour after dinner digging meat out of my teeth, lol.

db14

I like to say that the meat should "pull right off the bone."  What I mean by this is that when you bite into it the meat comes right off.  When the meat "falls of the bone" a lot of the time you lose the meat just cutting the ribs apart and end up needing a fork (or picking up the meat with your hands ;)).  You're almost ending up with pulled pork at this point.  The meat should stay on the bone until you want it off.