• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

crack in door

Started by db14, May 01, 2010, 08:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

db14

Well, I'm about two months into my Bradley experience and the thin plastic that goes across the bottom of the door on the outside has cracked already.  I keep this thing pretty pampered, any ideas on what might have caused this and whether it should be a cause for concern?

DarqMan

Wow, that is bizarre.  Mine did the exact same thing.  I called Bradley and they sent a new door out, no questions asked.  The Fedex guy just delivered it about an hour ago. 
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

DarqMan

Here'e my email exchange with them before I called:

Hello Bradley Smokers,

I purchased a Bradley Original Smoker from Amazon on April 12th, order number 105-9975412-5603442 and unit serial number is 0910006400010198 model BS199001.  It arived on April, 15 and I've smoked on it twice.  Today, I started my third smoke and noticed the black trim at the bottom of the door is cracked in two about midway. I honestly can't say for sure whether it arrived in this condition, but I've taken the upmost care of the unit since it arrived.  If it happened after it arrived, I have no idea what I would have done to cause the damage. I purchased a solid stainless steel table which it has been sitting on since it was removed from the box. 

Is this piece of trim something that can be replaced?  If so, is it something that might be covered under the warranty or would I need to buy it?

I'd like to say that I absolutely love the smoker.  I've been smoking for many years on a wood burning smoker and just recently discovered you guys.  I wish I would have found you sooner.  I'm looking forward to many years of enjoyment with my new smoker.  I'm DarqMan in forums.

Best Regards,

Hi Steve

Please call our customer service dept @ 866-508-7514 on Monday they can arrange to send you a new door the plastic trim on the bottom is not replacable.
This is covered under warranty.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

DTAggie

Got mine for Christmas.  New door delivered last week.  Old one taken off today and it was a struggle.  Have not put new on as last night my heating element quit working.  Getting power to everything just no heat except for smoke generator.  Will call them in the morning to get new parts. Plus face plate is cracked pretty bad which seems to be a consistent problem based on posts I have read.

This being said, I still love my OBS.  Makes excellent food.  Just hate to think of replacement part prices after warranty period.

DarqMan

Hey DTAggie, why did you struggle with the door?  I haven't put my new one on so just trying to get some feedback before I do.

I didn't realize the face plate was a problem too. Where is the weak area of the face place located?  I better check mine.

Quarlow

look at where the screws hold it on. sometimes they crack there. I have had mine for nine months now and pack it in and out of the house everytime and have not gotten a crack yet.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

DTAggie

When looking at the smoker, bottom left of the face plate is where my crack started and now has gone about a 1/4 of the way across.

The door is tricky.  The bottom hole sits on a little post.  The top is a small post built into the door that slides down into the hinge built into the cabinet.  I probably went about it wrong.  In hind sight it is probably better to take off the two screws that hold the bottom hinge to the cabinet.  Then you can slide bottom post out of the door and have room to raise the door off the top hinge.  I didn't think of this until I had the face plate removed trying to see if the temp circuit board looked fried as to why my element would not heat last night when it worked fine Friday night doing ribs and pork tenderloin.

classicrockgriller

FYI:

I have seen numerous post on the cracking of the face plate in the OBS.

Some say it is the guy installing the screws too tight at the factory.

Others say it is because the front support feet are resting on the face

plate and crack when it is loaded down or moved about.

Some people have the problem and some people don't.

Regardless of that, Bradley will fix you up. Just give them a call.

Before you do it, look at the FAQ's and see what you can do to not have it happen again.

There are a couple of things that Hab's goes over in that section.

Keep Em' Smokin'

classicrockgriller

Have been told that the door lifts up and off the bottom pin to remove.

I have taken mine off and always removed the two phillip head screws at top of door.

Try the lifting thing first and then if that don't work, unscrew the top screws.

DTAggie

Mine didn't have screws at the top of the door.  Only the bottom.

DarqMan

I was just looking at mine, CRG is right, just lift it up and then out and it comes off.  No need to remove any screws.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: DTAggie on May 02, 2010, 10:07:44 PM
Mine didn't have screws at the top of the door.  Only the bottom.

Damn they gave you the Aggie Door. ;D

Then uncrew the bottom hinge screws.

db14

I guess I'll be contacting Bradley this week.  Seems like they'll take care of it easy enough, it's just a bit of a hassle.I do move mine in and out of the garage depending on the weather, but that is only like a 10 foot move and I gently pick it up and set it down, no slamming and no dragging.  I baby this thing as muc has I can.  I wouldn't think the lifting would cause the problem.

classicrockgriller

db, when you talk to them ask them about two back feet that can

be adapted to the frant and take the pressure off the face plate.

Those pics and instructions are in the recipe site .... FAQ's sections.

Also Like Hab's has stated take pics as you take apart to help when

putting it back together.

xcrider

Funny, I got my OBS in January as well and just last week I noticed that the plastic on the bottom of the door was cracked as well.  Just got off the phone with customer service and a new door is on its way.