• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Caney, Are You OK?

Started by classicrockgriller, May 02, 2010, 11:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Nashville is getting flooded.

Daughter said it is pretty bad.

Been following it on the weather channel.

They said more rain is coming.

Tenpoint5

Our good friend Caney is probably in his waders helping folks out and cooking on the big rig. Knowing him he probably has a fly pole in his back pocket just in case he finds some clean water.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

I wondered about Caney.  I was in Nashville all weekend for the Jimmy Buffett concert.  Unbelievable amount of rain.  I have never seen it rain that hard and just never let up for 36 hours.  Some of those folks are in for a long recovery.  Hope CS is not one of them.

CRG, your daughter OK?

classicrockgriller

Quote from: KyNola on May 03, 2010, 06:47:36 AM
I wondered about Caney.  I was in Nashville all weekend for the Jimmy Buffett concert.  Unbelievable amount of rain.  I have never seen it rain that hard and just never let up for 36 hours.  Some of folks are in a for a long recovery.  Hope CS is not one of them.

CRG, your daughter OK?

She's fine other than probably being stuck in her Apt.

She lives on 27th floor.

As of last nite she still had electricty.

Pachanga

I have confidence in Caney.  He will be the last man standing while dragging others to greatness.

Pachanga

KyNola

CRG,
Glad to hear your daughter's fine.

Caneyscud

Water, Water everywhere!

CRG, glad to hear your daughter is ok!  I guess being on the 27th floor she got an eyeful of all the water.

Everything's ok at the Caney Hacienda as well as my daughter's future Hacienda.  Thanks everybody for asking.  Say a few prayers for many people here in the Tennessee Mid-State region.  Lots and lots of cars, businesses, homes underwater.  Been hearing conflicting number of deaths, but certainly more than 11 here in Nashville alone.  I think 21 over Tennessee.  And the water is still rising on the Cumberland.  Right now, I can't get any TV so haven't heard much about the news.  

We were in Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania (Adamstown area) late last week and weekend and the wife and I thankfully was able to be on if not the last plane one of the last planes or two allowed into the Nashville Airport (pilot had to abort final approach twice before finally getting in) before most airlines shut down early Sunday afternoon.  By that time our daughter (who was at home) was pretty upset as she had been watching the water creep up toward the house.  Got to within 4 or 5 houses in one direction and within 6 to 8 houses in the other direction.   Plus she had heard rumors of flooding where her new house is being constructed.  And she did not know if she could make it to the airport to pick us up - by that time almost all the Interstates were closed as well as some major cross town streets.  And one way out of our neighborhood was underwater and the only other the water was getting close.  

This was one time, I really wished I had a big jon boat.  Many hundreds if not thousands of water rescues had to be made.  Bellevue, a suburb of Nashville, had several subdivisions trapped as well as a nursing home.  People were waiting on their second floors and roofs to be rescued.  As it was, all I was able to do was help the people unload from the boats.  Not much clean up can happen today, - gotta wait for the water to recede, and probably won't do that fast.  Depends on how much water is in the Mississippi river I guess.   Maybe all our water will push that slick back out to the open water!  Tomorrow clean up begins!  Today, pumping out friend's basements.  

I can't get to the big iron right now.  They are underwater in back of a friends cabinet shop down near the Cumby - hopefully, they don't get washed away!  But, if I do find them - they will be put to use feeding volunteers.  

This flood is of epic proportions for the area.  Broke all kinds of records including most one day rain by not quite an inch, but also broke the 2 day rainfall record by 200%.  The two one day rainfalls were 50 year floods, but the combined two days was a 1,000 (yes 1,000 - not 100) year rain event.  Just 2 days into May, and it is officially the wettest May in recorded history and the 5th wettest month ever for us. 

Thought about getting the big fly rods out!   A friend of my daughter's said she saw some big fish floating down her street past her house, about 3 blocks from our house.   But then again, a friend of mine's electrical subcontractors office had a flooded basement, and when he started down the stairs this morning to see how much water there was, there was 2 snakes on the stairs - he did not take time out to see what kind.  
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KyNola

Caney, glad to know your family and you are all safe.  I got out of Nashville just before they closed I-24 headed West.  Drove through a lot of water getting out.

Stay safe.

KyNola

FLBentRider

We're glad to hear you're OK.

Prayers for all those affected.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

Bet you did!  Noticed the water over 24 in the 2 low-level circles of Nashville, our plane did before finally landing. 

KevinG

Good to hear you and yours are ok!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

NePaSmoKer

Adamstown, Antique Alley right up RT 272 from where our old house is and only 1 hour from where we live now. Ya should have hollard at me and we could have burned some steaks.

Caneyscud

That would have been fun!  Looked on the forum, with my iphone to see where you were located, and I thought it read you were just south of the Poconos, and my BIL and SIL, said that that was a long way away!  As it was we ate burgers at Boehringer's Drive-In - had some ice cream and fed the ducks.  That night we picked up some steaks and bobby's at Capriotti's in Newark or Hockessin or somewhere.  I get all turned around on all those small roads up there!   Steaks would have been better! 

Caneyscud

Photo of a buddy's building.  This is the Pinnacle building in the Lower Broadway area of downtown Nashville.  This is a pic of our lawyer's front waiting room with about 4 to 5 foot of water in it with Second Avenue out the window.  Brand new building 29 story building.  Oh yeh, there is 5 stories of parking beneath this floor filled up with water. 

Caneyscud

And for those of you who have been to the Opryland Hotel.   This is from one of the atriums.  Sent to me from a friend.   The floor level is really variable in there, but the water level appears to be inches in the foreground with 6 to 8 feet on the far wall under that brick arch - while toward the right side it has to be 10+ foot deep.  That white arch in the right background is a white pergola/bandstand thing that the stage is 3 foot off the floor and the "walls" are at least 10 to the "roof" which is all you see.    They had to evacuate 1,500 people from the hotel last night.