• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

BOS or BDS

Started by dribron, May 02, 2010, 04:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dribron

Hey all, I have been smoking for some time, and with electric for the past year or so. After reading alot of great info about the Bradley, I have been interested in buying a Bradley once I can afford it. CUrrently I am trying to sell both of my smokers on craigslist. Sp far no hits, so that may not work out for me. ANyway I am trying to learn the real difference between the digital and origianal version of the Bradley. Is the extra cost of the digital version really worth it. Is it that much better of a smoker than the origianal. I ask this because although I want to find an affordable way to get my first Bradley, I also do not want to feel weeks after purchase that I might have been better off with a digital.
  Thank you, Duane

KevinG

I bought the digital and am not upset that I did. There are a lot of people on the forum with the original that don't have any complaints either. They typicaly invest in a PID to ease some of the burden of temperature and time settings. It also has a lot less temperature swings than the digital when you do it that way, but it's not a big deal cause all my food has been coming out great.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

RossP

Hi Duane

I have an OBS and I am very happy with it. I have never thought darn I should have got a digital. I have smoked Chicken breast, whole chicken, fish, ABT's vegtalbes and lots more in the OBS. I am planning on getting a PID in the future but right now I am happy with what I have.
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

GusRobin

I have an OBS. If I were buying again I would get the OBS with the dual PID from Auber. I think together it would be about the same price as a Digital, gives the same benefits as the digital but you get better control wiith the PID.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

DarqMan

The OBS with dual PID from Auber is the exact setup I have.  I've only got 4 smokes under my belt.  The PID just came in this weekend so it hasn't even been used.  If you're going to be doing any sausage or things that require constant temperature the PID is a must, even if you have the digital model.  So, given that info, you should be able to decide what's right for you.  I don't regret not having gone with the digital.  Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

Gizmo

Digital Features:
4 or 6 Rack capacity.
Temp set digitally.
Puck advance time set in 20 minute increments.  Can reset the timer by changing the set time.  Can see how many minutes are left until the next cycle.
Digital readout of oven temp as measure in middle of the back wall.
Limited to 9 hours 40 minutes of cook time without resetting the oven timer.
Temperature swings are there, but are not a factor for most smoking adventures.
Higher Cost

Original:
4 Rack capacity only.
Temp set with a slider control
Puck advances every 20 minutes, no timer or time limit, cycle time can only be reset with a power cycle but that also advances the puck mechanism.
No oven timer, does not have to be reset after 9 hours 40 minutes but will not shut off automatically.
Oven temp measured with a thermometer in the upper middle part of the door.
Temp swings are there, but are not a factor for most smoking adventures.
Lower cost
Prone to plastic front cracking and slider control shorting out if liguid runs out the front of the unit.

Either unit can be used with a PID or other temperature control device which provides very little to no temp swings.  More cost effective to use the PID with the original.

If you want tight temp control and don't mind not having the visibility of the puck time, go with the original and buy a PID type device.

I have the 6 rack digital and like the features of the timer.

I don't have an original so if I have misrepresented any info there, please correct.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Quarlow

If money is tight go with the OBS. Then when you can afford to add the PID. You will spend about $50 more than the BDS after you have purchased the PID but you have spread the cost out and you end up with the best set up possible. Remember though, the OBS is only a 4 rack but that is easily fixed with the addition of a 8 rack kit which turns it into a 12 rack.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

DarqMan

Quote from: Quarlow on May 02, 2010, 06:50:22 PM
If money is tight go with the OBS. Then when you can afford to add the PID. You will spend about $50 more than the BDS after you have purchased the PID but you have spread the cost out and you end up with the best set up possible. Remember though, the OBS is only a 4 rack but that is easily fixed with the addition of a 8 rack kit which turns it into a 12 rack.

Hey Quarlow, please point me to the 8 rack kit.  I've never seen one of those.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

Quarlow

I think scott's place sells them or BigjohnT. CRG turned his 6 rack into an 18 rack. It is awesome.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

Here is a link to JT's place. they sell them.
http://linux105.mysite4now.net/johnt128/www/smoke/index.php?crn=225
Or you can get the angle iron and make your own.

OBS
BBQ

DarqMan

Wow, that's awesome!  I had no idea those existed.... thanks for the info.

Now back to dribron's buying decision....

dribron

Well, decided on the OBS, just made the order with cabelas. Should be delivered within a week or so.... Pretty excite.....!

happy49219

Scheels.com has them on sale for 249.00 ;D

happy49219

sorry they are 249.00 in the store only :'(

DarqMan

Congrats on the purchase dribron!  You most definitely will have fun with it.

Let us know when it comes in and let us know about your first smoke.  Take some pictures... we really like pictures....