Searing w/ a pellet grill?

Started by 1wired1, May 04, 2010, 08:47:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1wired1

Been looking at the Traeger site and they say it's not the temp it's some process of something breaking down and something happening. I would go back and find it in their Q&A but you guys probably already know. Reviews I have been reading people are saying they aren't able to sear because they are having a tough time getting the temp up enough.

Opinions?

squirtthecat

I don't have a set yet, but some Pellet cookers go with 'GrillGrates' to assist in searing..

10.5 did a review on them in a recent newsletter.     I'm sure some others will chime in..

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

There are secrects to getting grill marks if that is important to you.

1wired1

Thanks for the news letter.

After doing some more reading it might make sense to just pan sear then move to the grill. It will keep me from having to buy more stuff. Which is less fun, but no wife yapping.

Smokin Soon

I have the Treager and I am very happy with it. As far as searing or "grill marks", I do have my gasser next to the Treager, and do it for presentation only. Whatever goes on inside those pellet poopers gives a nice smokey, moist and flavorfull cook. I just did some chops tonight that were bagged up in CT with some Dizzy Rub for the night, this time too hungry for the sear. Some of the finest chops I have had!
Not one grill mark, and I did not miss it one bit.

ArnieM

Quote from: classicrockgriller on May 04, 2010, 09:29:46 AM
There are secrects to getting grill marks if that is important to you.

Gee, thanks for sharing  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

Smokin Soon

Allmost forgot, wifey is so pleased with the Treager, I would have to prove a "MAK" miracle before even thinking about that one!!! ;D :D

1wired1

Looks Delicious SS.

Decisions decisions

TTNuge

Quote from: Smokin Soon on May 04, 2010, 08:56:15 PM
Allmost forgot, wifey is so pleased with the Treager, I would have to prove a "MAK" miracle before even thinking about that one!!! ;D :D

The Traeger is a great unit and one I would never bash.  The wife felt the same way for the short period of time I had mine.  IT was just by chance that I happen to be in the right place at the right time and was able to upgrade to the MAK.  That said, everything that got better going from a Gasser to the Traeger seemed to have gotten even better going to the MAK.  For the first few cooks I thought it was all in my head, internally trying to justify the added cost of the MAK but when the wife started mentioning that things tasted better, had a more smokey flavor, and that she liked the food even more, well that made me feel I made the right decision.  I wish I had the Lil' Tex and the MAK side by side so I could tell for sure but it seems like even quick cooks like Steaks and Burgers come out with more smoke flavor. 

Life is good either way, just being a pellethead is the key!  Gearing up to try jerky for the first time as well as some Kummok's salmon using the cold smoke box on the side of the MAK.  Hopefully it turns out as good or better than the last two batches in the OBS.  I just picked up some smaller jerky trays that fit in the cold smoke box so I can get three racks of salmon in there.

classicrockgriller

1wired1,

The Traeger is a very nice pellet grill and if you can afford the $$$'s to "upgrade" to a mak, then besure and think about that one too.

Just make sure what you want is your decission.

KyNola

1wired1,
TTN and CRG have given you good information.  I too had a Traeger and then bought a MAK.  Both are excellent units.  Like TTN I will not say anything bad about a Traeger.  They do a great job.  I bought a MAK for two reasons.  1)Bob Tucker who owns MAK Grills offered me a good deal to buy one, test it and post my findings on this forum and 2)I was impressed with the digital controller that the MAK has.

It's all a matter of personal preference.  I've smoked/cooked great food on a Traeger.  Done the same with a MAK.  Squirtthecat, Smoking Soon and CRG all own a Traeger and produce incredible food.  The king of pellet grills, NePaS has both a Traeger and a MAK.

You won't be sorry with whichever you choose.  Let's burn some pellets!

KyNola

hal4uk

1W1, the Treager or the MAK will sear... and, BOTH are great smokers (as is the Bradley).

We all have different "tools" and they all work pretty darn good if ya know how to use them..
The one thing I would tell you (and I know some will heartily disagree - it's just my personal opinion)...
I consider smoking and grilling to be two entirely different activities.
Get a "tool" for each.

Even if you get something that is GOOD at both, it will only be good for ONE at a time...
(grilling=medium to high heat, and smoking=very low to low heat)
When you entertain a crowd, you can't beat the versatility of being able to grill a "snackie" load of wings (or whatever..)
While your ribs (or whatever) are slow-smoking.
Awrighten.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

1wired1

Thanks for your responses. I will research and ponder while I save funds. In the mean time my father gave me his old propane grill that he wasn't using. I know propane is a bad word around here, but it will get me by until I find the pellet grill I want.

1w1