• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Newbie in Charlotte, NC

Started by Ernie_in_NC, May 07, 2010, 11:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie_in_NC

Hello all,

So I moved to NC from Texas 2 1/2 years ago, have been seriously missing Texas BBQ - particularly smoked brisket. Never had to make it before because it's so readily available in my hometown of San Antonio. After missing the flavors, broke down and bought a small smoker a few months ago. Works fine, but what a hassle! I don't want to have to spend all day tending the smoker on a brisket, so I just bought an Original from Bradley. Got 'em cheap at www.amazon.com right now.

I'm seasoning the smoker right now, will smoke some chicken tonight to learn how this thing works before smoking a full brisket to eat on Mother's Day.

Looking forward to this. Any advice for a novice to smoking foods and to the Bradley?

Thanks.

Quarlow

Welcome to the forum. To start with always keep your vent open. 1/4 to 1/2 all the time and wide open for poultry. Try not to plug into an outlet with other things plugged into it. GFCI's can be finicky so avoid them and keep your extension cords as short as you can and as heavy as possible. I made my own which is 15 feet long and I used heavy 12ga wire.

Mesquite-Very strong
Hickory-strong
Oak-strong but not overpowering
Pecan-mild version of Oak
Maple-Mild
Cherry-Mild & fruity
Apple-Mild, fruity with a slight sweetness
Alder-Light with a hint of sweetness
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

DTAggie

Welcome Ernie.  There will be more experienced smokers along in a bit.  I have been surprised how easy the OBS is.  I do not have a PID, just a digital probe that tells me cabinet and meat temp.  Works good.

Be careful about spilling any water in your cabinet that could hit the element or drip down onto the temp controller.

I recommend pre-heating by also turning on the smoke generator and then pucks in when you get ready to put meat in.  Always pre-heat to a higher temp then cooking to help with recovery time.  Replace the small water bowl with a foil pan to hold more water.

KyNola

Hi Ernie and welcome to the forum.  That brisket can be a multi hour smoke/cook period so be sure to leave yourself lots of time.  Go to the recipe site at www.susanminor.org for ideas on how to do a brisket in the Bradley.  The recipe site is a compilation of recipes from many of the members of this forum.

Good luck and have fun,
KyNola

classicrockgriller

Ernie, Welcome to the forum.

Am a native Texan and like you moved around a bit,

but I am in Texas now and won't leave again.

I actually lived in High Point many years ago.

Good luck with your smoker and you know Texans are always welcome Home.

dribron

Welcome aboard and congratts on the new smoker. I also am new here, and new to bradley smokers. I don't acually have mine yet, but should by next week... Gotta say waiting for my new toy is driving me crazzy... lol

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Ernie_in_NC!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ernie_in_NC

Aggie, what's a "PID"? Reading the instructions I noticed an indication that the dial for cabinet heat on the door is not necessarily accurate. They are suggesting using alternate thermometer source. What do you use?

Have you found the dial on the door to be way off in terms of accuracy?

DTAggie

I never look at the temp on the door, just what is reading on my digital.  Others know more about the PID, but you use it to control your temp.  The smoker plugs into it and it tracks the temp and controls the element, if I am not mistaken.

Ernie_in_NC

KyNOLA, I'm using the recipe at the link you suggested. Thanks!

Aggie, so I take it a PID is some sort of electronic "after market" piece that controls the smoker? Is that right?

KyNola

Ernie,
You're more than welcome.  That's why we are all on this forum.  Having fun and helping folks is what we're all about.  You are correct about the PID.  It is an "after market" product that tightly controls the temp.

KyNola

deb415611

KevinG

Welcome to the Forum Ernie!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Ketch22

Welcome Ernie you will love it here

OU812

Welcome to the fun Ernie

Keep the vent open at lest 1/2 when your usin your new tool.