Up and running again

Started by DTAggie, May 07, 2010, 08:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTAggie

Had a new door sent a couple weeks back.  Just put it on yesterday after a new element and face plate arrived.  Replaced the element first to see if that was the problem, and it was.  Current face plate is cracked but will wait to replace until absolutely necessary.

Hooked everything up last night and with SG and elemnet running hit 280* in 30 minutes.  Thought I better really try it out so I bought an 8 lb. butt and one rack of baby backs.  Butt was rubbed down last night with Tom Clark's Pork Rub with Love. 

Ribs were rubbed today with Wild Willy's Onderful Rub.  Was in Super Target and saw the Carolina BBQ Sauce.  Forgot to put it on ribs first so drizzled a bit on after the rub. 

Butt just went on and ribs will get 2-2-1 tomorrow.  Only have Hickory around so that will have to do.  Below are a few before pics.  Included two of pulling membrane off ribs as I learned on here as it seems there are always questions about that.

Butt getting to room temp about to go in.

Starting the membrane.

Pulling the membarne.

Rubbed up

Drizzled with Target CT

Target CT

Quarlow

Sounds like you got a good plan goin'
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

Nice Pics!

Should be fun!

Glad you are back in business.

DTAggie

Felt lost without the OBS for a few days.  Did your waterproofing while I was at it CRG.

DarqMan

I can't wait to hear how that comes out.  The sauce looks good.  
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

DTAggie

Sorry the butt rub is Tom Douglas Rub with Love, not Tom Clark.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: DTAggie on May 07, 2010, 09:47:27 PM
Sorry the butt rub is Tom Douglas Rub with Love, not Tom Clark.

Good! I never liked Tom Clark! ;D

DTAggie

Everything looks good.  Butt reading 173 right now.  Just put the ribs on.

classicrockgriller

More smoke for the ribs?

If so the smoke will help with the bark!

Yummmmmm.

DTAggie

Sorry for the delay getting the finished product pics up.  Butt was great.  Ribs were ok.  Cooked them to long.  Got caught doing work on the trailer and let them go a bit long.  Although son and I ate them all.

Wife is complaining about the spice in Wild Willy's Onderful Rub.  She is requesting somehing sweeter.  Any suggestions?

Butt going FTC.  Good bark.  Cooked cap down.

Ribs going to foil with a splash of apple juice

Ribs out of foil getting ready for last stage

Ribs falling off the bone. Just dry.

Butt falling apart

ArnieM

The ribs look good but as you said maybe a bit overdone.  But, hey, good food is good food.

Glad everything is working again.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Caneyscud

Glad, you're back up and running.  It is a sad experience without the use of a smoker.  Those ribs didn't lack much when you put them into the foil!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

DTAggie

Yeah I shouldn't have even foiled, just put a bit sauce and back for a tad.  Live and learn.  Just had some more butt for dinner.  Yummy.

BuyLowSellHigh

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

DarqMan

Nice pics DTA, everything looks great!

The baby backs I did Sunday were a little on the dry side too.  I put them on a lower rack than last time and cooked at a higher temp... oh well, live and learn.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.