• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Puck advance

Started by dribron, May 09, 2010, 04:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dribron

I should recive my OBS in a few days and have been reading all I can about it. One question has been puzzeling me. I understand that you need to add two extra pucks each time you smoke to get the pucks advanced onto the puck heater. And I understand that these two pucks are lost because the heater is not yet hot enough to burn them, so as the timer ticks up to 20mins they are tossed into the water, and wasted. But why couldn't someone advance the two pucks, then remove them and place them back into the puck shoot? Why wast them?

FLBentRider

They don't get wasted by the method you describe, one gets partially burnt next to the one on the burner and the other one just sorta sits there.

The problem is really that the puck on the burner never gets pushed off, so it burns past the "optimum" level and all the way to ash.

I use three aluminum "bubba" pucks to ensure that all wood bisquettes are pushed into the bowl after their 20 minute burn cycle.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

dribron

I plan on orderig a few bubba's next week, but will not have them by the time I first get my Bradley. I just couldn't see why two pucks must set there and be wasted, and not saved by moving them over to the loader.

FLBentRider

You can move them yourself, but the puck advance mechanism will not push the last two of any pucks on to the burner.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BigJohnT

You can get them from Scott's Place too. There are 3 pucks on the slide all the time, one over the heater, one next to the heater (the one that gets partially burned) and one behind that one. If after the last puck has been on the heater for 20 minutes you simply remove the last 2 pucks you won't have any problem with the burnt too far on the pucks.

John

DTAggie

Looked to me like you were saying they do not burn because the SG was not hot enough.  You should turn the SG on when you start preheating the cabinet then put the pucks in just before the meat.  Hit the advance button three times and a puck will be on the burner and smoking in no time.

dribron

classicrockgriller

dribron

Oh yeah right, I'm an idot!

drewpatton

No way man. You are intelligent enough to ask a question. Michael Moore is an idiot. Perspective. In a comparison between ones self and that clown you ALWAYS come up on top!

DTAggie

KyNola

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Good one Drew!

dribron

Yeah thanks,  I tell you it seems like the whole world is being broken down too abriviations....

iceman

Quote from: dribron on May 11, 2010, 12:48:14 PM
Yeah thanks,  I tell you it seems like the whole world is being broken down too abriviations....
That's a big 10-4 on that WTH over.  :D ;) I have so many at work on the slope I have cheat sheets just to figure out what they are talking about. LOL