• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Ashy smelling smoke from my OBS

Started by dribron, May 10, 2010, 01:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dribron

Today I pickedup my new OBS put her all together and cured her. Everything seems to work just fine. I did notice one thing. The smoke doesnt smell like what I am use to. In fact it smells much like a dirty ask tray. I used messy wood.. Could they have somehow gone bad?

Habanero Smoker

When you are seasoning it, you are burning off manufacturing residue. That is probably what you are smelling.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

dribron

Well yeah that is true, I have just never smelled anything like that before from any other smoker that I have cured... I'm just wondering now what I should risk smoking. I mean I dont want to put a 10.00 pice of meat in there and have it come out like that. Then again, it is most likley nothing.

KyNola

As your OBS gets some smoke projects done, the smell will change but I never found the Bradley smoke to smell like what I was accustomed to smelling with other smokers.  Remember, the smoke from your OBS is a much purer, cleaner intense smoke.  That's why 4 hours max is plenty compared to other types of smokers.

Don't panic.  Give it and you some time to settle in.

FLBentRider

Quote from: dribron on May 10, 2010, 01:10:01 PM
Well yeah that is true, I have just never smelled anything like that before from any other smoker that I have cured... I'm just wondering now what I should risk smoking. I mean I dont want to put a 10.00 pice of meat in there and have it come out like that. Then again, it is most likley nothing.

I would run a few more pucks in it after the seasoning and see if the smell changes.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

dribron

Sure I'll see how it goes. You know I did read about how much more inteanse the smoke is. How much less smoke time should I give something in conparison to regualr wood? For example should I cut the amount I might use now down by half?

dribron

Yeah, maybe I'll run another hours worth before my first smoke. I was thinking about smoking something tomarow if I have time... If not by the weekend for sure.

mow_delon

I never noticed anything close to "ashtray" smelling smoke coming from my smoker and I use homemade ash pucks.  Reminds me of a wood burning stove or fireplace smell.  I also am not familiar with "messy wood".  Could you enlighten me?

FLBentRider

Quote from: mow_delon on May 10, 2010, 01:22:45 PM
I also am not familiar with "messy wood".  Could you enlighten me?

Mesquite
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

dribron

KyNola

Here are a few examples for me at least.  Butts, 4 hours max.  Poultry 2-3 hours.  Briskets 4 hours.  The rest of the time is just spent cooking.

The smoke is quite intense.  Plus, you're burning mesquite.  If you don't think so, let that box fill up with smoke and then open the door to take something out and see if your eyes don't tell you that it is strong. :D  Your eyes are definitely going to start watering.

Just a different method of smoking.  Once you get used to it, you'll like it.

How wide you got your vent open?  Open it to at least half way.

dribron

I had the vent halfway open. I guess my first smoke will be the first true test... I do think it is nicley built. Hopfully it will last several years.

TTNuge

We'll discuss the true cost of that Cabela's discount code once you get some goodies smokin'!!!   ;D

dribron

lol.. Sounds good. We'll have to have a MN bradley smokeout.

classicrockgriller

My vent hardly ever gets closed lower than 3/4 and most the time wide open.

What you want to watch out for is smoke coming out by your smoke generator.

If you see that, open vent some more.