• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hello from KCMO

Started by Sorce, May 11, 2010, 06:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorce

Hey everyone, I've been lurking here for a little while and wanting to get a bradley smoker. I got one for my birthday and I'm excited to get to use it. I've ordered an auber pid, and some pucks. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions, I think for my first smoke I'll probably go with a pork but and some ribs, those seem to be a little more forgiving for my first time out.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Sorce!

Good luck with the butt and the ribs.

If I were you, just starting out, I would make that 2 separate smokes.

Keep the vent open.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

Welcome to the forum Sorce! May the sorce sauce force be with you.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

OU812

Welcome to the fun Sorce.

Pork butt and ribs are two different kind of cooks, I'm with FLB and would do them at different times. At least till you know how your smoker works for ya.

Keep your vent open and the water pan full.

ArnieM

Hi Sorce and welcome to the forum.  I agree with doing two separate cooks.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KyNola

Welcome Sorce.  Gotta agree with the other guys as ribs aren't all that forgiving like a butt is.

KyNola

Sorce

Alright, I'll make sure to do those separately then. I just ordered the 5 pack bisquette sampler so I can get an idea of what I like. Really looking forward to my first smoke, also thinking I might throw some brauts/sausages in there for memorial day weekend and have a nice little cook out.

KyNola

aces-n-eights

Welcome - lots of great info here - don't be afraid to ask away!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

BuyLowSellHigh

Howdy Sorce !  I'm a newbie too and all I can say is listen to these guys - they've steered my right so far.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

DarqMan

I'd do the butt first.  Like everyone says it's very forgiving and difficult to mess up.  That will give yor a "feel" for the smoker and then you can tackle ribs.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

dribron

You know it's funny I rember the first time I had ever used a smoker. This crappy littel ECB, anyway I was told start with a butt because it is fairly forgiving. I ended up completly ruining it. It came out dry, and well eatable but not what I wanted. It took me about a year before I tryed a butt again, but did a few chicken, then ribs. Using a 3-2-1 and keeping my temp around 210-230 I found the ribs to be easyer than the chickens. Chickens always came out okay at the time, but I had a bad habbit of over cooking them. Now I am no longer afraid of butts, chicken, ribs, salmon or anything. What helped me alot was writing everything down. What rub I used, if I brined or not, what wood, how long I acually smoked, and temp. And if I had trouble with anything along the way, I wrote that down too. Just rember it's part science, but mostly art. And it's a heck of alot of fun....  ;D