• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Newbie needs some advice.

Started by Sorce, May 11, 2010, 07:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorce

Hey guys, just got my bradley but haven't used it yet. I'm trying to decide on what bisquettes to get. I'm kind of leaning towards the 60ct sample pack just starting out. I know my first couple smokes I want to do a pork butt, ribs, and possibly some brauts / sausages. I don't really want to by a ton of bisquettes right of the bat not knowing what I like. However I wasn't sure for what I was wanting to smoke if the pack had a good variety. The one I saw includes Alder, Cherry, Maple, Hickory, Special Blend. I'm debating on whether I should do this or just order individual 12 packs until I'm more confident in my selection.

FLBentRider

The sampler pack is a good place to start.

Of those you listed, Hickory is the strongest, and Alder is the lightest, cherry is a little lighter than Maple. Special blend. Hmmm..

Here is a wood guide:

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?26-Bisquettes&p=36#post36
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pensrock

I like apple as a good all around wood. I have apple, hickory, oak as my main smoking woods.

Sorce

I went ahead and ordered the sampler pack. I'm pretty sure my first smoke is going to be pork butt, with my 2nd likely brauts. I'm thinking maple for the pork butt but wasn't sure what to use for brauts. I was thinking probably something lighter, maybe the alder or special blend.

ArnieM

Hi Sorce.  The wood/food combination is purely a matter of personal preference; no right or wrong.  You have to experiment.

Apple on pork?  That roast pig always seems to have an apple in its mouth  :D

The following are my personal preferences.  They certainly aren't gospel.

Lighter pork, boneless loin or tenderloin, apple is great.

Most other pork, ribs and butt, hickory seems traditional and works well.  Stronger than the apple.

Bacon, hickory or maple, depending on how savory or sweet your cure was.

Brisket, I have to have mesquite.

Roast beef of any sort (to medium rare) is oak.

Fish, alder or pecan.

Cheese, apple or hickory, again going for a more savory or sweet taste and depending on the cheese.

Again, this is what I like NOT what you may like.  You just have to try different combinations.  And, the wood type and smoke times vary depending upon the strength of the wood.

If I were to a 7 pound or so butt; hickory, 3-4 hours, apple 4-5 hours. 

Between the wood types and different food to cook, you should be busy for quite a while  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

pensrock

All day I've been pretending I'm different types of wood.
I'm board now.
;D

Caneyscud

I'll admit it, what I use is what is on top of my bisquette box stack.  I will strive to use oak on brisket (most often used in the "Brisket Belt"), and alder on fish - but more often than not, they get the "smoke what ya brung" treatment!  I can't seem to discern any major discernible differences - may be because of smoke burnout over the years.  I've seen all types of wood get high marks in competitions.  

If cooking for others, I will usually fall back onto the already discussed traditionals - people around here freak out if you were to smoke pork with say - cherry, etc.... and they know it.  If they don't know what you used, they don't "notice".  heehee!

Pork - Hickory
Ribs - Hickory
Fish - Alder or mesquite
Sausage - Pecan or hickory
Brisket, or roast - Oak or if the guests are from mesquite country - then mesquite
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Ketch22

Hi just done some fish used Oak and cherry real liked them

Quarlow

Quote from: pensrock on May 12, 2010, 02:21:46 AM
I'm board now.
;D
Oh god that was really bad. I think I told that one when I was 6.  :D :D :D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

OU812

Quote from: pensrock on May 12, 2010, 02:21:46 AM
I'm board now.
;D

Thats gonna cost ya a dollar.  ;D

Brisket Lover

I know this is an old post but I haven't posted in ages and felt like posting :) I pretty use hickory or mesquite on everything. I tried the lighter flavors and didnt care for them much.

donloftus

I'm partial to fruit woods for poultry, upland game and fish and hickory and mesquite for beef, waterfowl and antlered game.  Just found 48 pack bisquettes for $15.59 at www.huntfishoverstock.com. Is there a better price out there?

Quarlow

That is a real good price. I think I remember someone beating that price once but if I was you I would jump on that.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

ArnieM

I put up a post the other day saying Amazon had several wood flavors in 120 count for $36, but that's for the lower 48.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Quarlow

Yeah unfortunately we don't get them here for anything less than $20 a box unless canuck tire has a sale on them at the end of the year.

OBS
BBQ