"Country Style" Ribs Help, Please

Started by ArnieM, May 11, 2010, 10:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

I'm confused.  As far as I knew, CS style ribs were boneless, not even properly called 'ribs'.  Come from the loin end.

So, the local grocery store has 'em, $1.69/Lb, bone-in.  I can't figure out what gives here.

Any insights?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

I have seen a sliced bone in pork butt passed off as "Country Style" ribs.

They did not turn out well for me.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

A lot of stores sell sliced butt as country style ribs. Usually if you see the bone, they went too far into the shoulder, and the bone is part of the shoulder blade.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caneyscud

As I've been told, the slice of shoulder blade (scapula for you intellects) is what gave the cut it's name.  Supposed to look like a rib bone. 

I've done lots of CS "ribs".  Usually grill them rather than smoke them.  If I smoke them, unless they are really streaked with fat, they tend to not do so well - bone in or boneless.  Will also flour and fry the boneless and use on biscuits - pork chops and biscuits at less money!  Or in the crockpot with some sauerkraut or with peppers, onions, tomatilloes, green chilis, garlic, cilantro, cumin, salt, pepper, maybe some chilpotle, or some salsa.  Shred it and put on tortillas. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

mow_delon

I have only done country style ribs once.  Followed the 3-2-1 method, basting with a honey bbq sauce before the last hour.  They turned out so good I made my wife try them. She has told me on more than one occasion that ribs are gross.  She said they were ok and sat there for a little while and then asked for a whole one!  The next time I made ribs she said, "Oh good! I love those!"  After that the country style ribs were on sale for $1.69/lb and she picked up 12 lbs without me even knowing about it. 

While I agree that real ribs are more fun to eat, the CS ribs do turn out well in the Bradley (as does just about everything).  Anyway, get the CS ribs and SMOKE ON!!!!!!!

ArnieM

Thanks all.  Good and useful information.  Appreciate it.
-- Arnie

OU812

The best way I've found to do the Bone in Country Style Ribs was to smoke them 3 hr with hickory then drop them in the crock pot with some onions, jalapenos and a splash of BBQ sauce, cook till tender and enjoy.

I've had the Boneless Country Style Ribs turn out quite well in the Bradley wile usein a mop.

Must be cause the boneless are higher up on the shoulder closer to the loin.

drewpatton

We love them in the crockpot period. I think next time ill smoke them for a bot and finish them in the crock pot like OU said.

Tenpoint5

I do the C/S using the 3-2-1 method and they turn out great
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

Well, y'all talked me into into it.  I think I'll give 'em the 3 hours of hickory first.

I don't have a crock pot.  But the oven has a low and slow mode, low and high.  The low setting seems to run about 200-230.  The latter about 250-280.  Which do you recommend?  I'd probably go with the high setting.
-- Arnie

OU812

Heck, just throw them in a steamer pan put the lid on and chuck them back in the bradley set at 180 F.

OldHickory

I am probably too late to be of help, but here goes:  3hrs in the Bradley @ 220 with hickory (what else?) out and into a dutch oven with 1/4 cup water in the bottom, cover and into the oven @ 245 for 2 hrs.  The bone and fat can now be easily separated and you will have lots of good juice to add to other dishes or gravey.  Goes great with greens, beans and cornbread, what doesn't.  I also use this with chili verde, and IMO the bone in gives this a nice flavor.  Seasonings:  after the smoke, spray with OO, a dusting of garlic salt and coarse black pepper -- or seasonings of your choice of course.  Those type of CS ribs are sometimes on sale in this part of the country @ 98c/#, a no brainer.  Good luck

OldHickory
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

classicrockgriller

I'll be Rooting for you Arnie.

I've not had real good luck with CS ribs.

They end up going in beans or soup or chilli.

ArnieM

I'm gonna go get 'em today - last day of the sale.  They're actually for dinner on Sunday.

Thanks for all of the feedback.  Yep, greens, beans and cornbread sounds good.  I do the cornbread in my 7" cast iron pan.

Ended up being in the mood for fish for dinner last night so went to see my butcher.  Got some king salmon. 

I asked him about the bone-in aspect.  He said that's what he does.  Wait here a minute.  He goes in back and comes out with a hunk of pork.  He gave me a tutorial on the loin end, the shoulder blade end and how they're cut.  Nice guy, but too expensive to buy there  :(
-- Arnie

OldHickory

Oh yes, the cast iron skillet and cornbread seem to be made for each other.  Now you and CRG have got my juices going, probably will have to smoke something this weekend.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.