A quick Thuringer sausage question

Started by RAF128, May 12, 2010, 05:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

I made this a few weeks ago and it was good.   I plan to do it again soon but will make a few changes.   When I made it I followed the directions.   It said to take the meat and chunk it up before grinding and not to grind with the fat but grind it seperately and add later with the spices.   I've chunked meat before but mixed the meat and the fat as I ground it.   If you're not mixing what's the point of chunking the meat?   My grinder grinds meat faster than I can load it.  Why not grind the meat and fat together to get a better mix?   I was just wondering if there is a reason.

3rensho

When I make salami and similar dried sausages I grind meat and fat separately.  I also partially freeze the meat and fat prior to grinding.  The fat doesn't smear this way and I often grind the fat and meat using different sized plates to give a better definition to the sausage - distinct pieces of fat and meat.  Chunking the meat can give you a better grind, particularly if it is fibrous.  You can grind everything together if you want a more homogeneous looking sausage.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.