• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First attempt at pulled pork

Started by bozer, May 18, 2010, 06:51:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bozer

Hi guys,

I'm going to make my first attempt at Pulled Pork this weekend. I finally found a Whole Foods in my neighborhood that has the meat.

Am I correct in buying a pork shoulder? What would you guys recommend?

Also, pounds wise, how much should I get? 7 pounds?

I'm going to have a party on Sunday with 6 people total. My plan is to make pulled pork sandwhiches and mac n cheese.

I figure I'll begin cooking the pulled pork on Saturday afternoon around 12? I want the pulled pork to be ready on Sunday about 4PM? Does that sound good?

Any suggestions?

Tenpoint5

You wanting to serve it hot right out of the smoker?  I would suggest starting it about 5am on Saturday morning then put it in a crock pot to warm and serve later. You should be finished cleaning things up around 11pm. If everything and everyone plays fair.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

bozer

woa.. 5am =(

It doesn't have to be hot, can't I wrap it in foil or something?

I could get up at 10AM to start on Saturday.

I guess I need to know how many hours it should take

squirtthecat

It could take 16 hours...   Some have gone longer than that.   You might be up at 5AM one way or the other.  ;)

Make sure the cut is the 'boston butt'. (also known as pork shoulder, also known as many other things)

Someone has a nice pig 'road map' that explains the cuts..

bozer

Does 7pounds sound about right?

bozer

Also -- how long should I FTC it for?

So lets say I have some hours to kill, I could just FTC it until we're ready to eat right?

Or could that potentially overcook it? FTC is a good way to keep it warm, no?

OU812

I'm thinkin two 7 lb butts, boston butts, shoulder roasts, blade roasts, there all the same.

I would start Fri. night around 8:00 P

When the smoke is done, around 12:00, dump the drip pan and refill with HOT water, then put a foil pan on a rack, under the rack the pork is on, half full of liquid, I use warm beer.

In the mornin check the water pans, do your chores and relax.

When the IT gets to 190 F take from the smoker FTC and have a cold one.

Sat. night pull the pork, throw in a crock pot with the juices form the upper water pan, make sure you remove the fat.

Sun. morn start the crock pot and get every thing ready for the party.

Works for me, plus the smoke flavor is better the next day.

squirtthecat

OU has the plan..

Start Friday night..   It's always better reheated.      Chop the bark up and mix back in with the pork.
When you reheat it Sunday morning, you could also add some Apple Cider vinegar, or the 'Vaulted Vinegar' from the recipe site.

You'll lose almost 50% of the mass while it cooks.  So that 7 pound roast might give you 3.5 pounds of actual meat to serve.   There isn't anything wrong with have plenty left over to send home with your guests... (or save for yourself and eat it for lunch for a week)

squirtthecat

Quote from: bozer on May 18, 2010, 07:31:50 AM
Also -- how long should I FTC it for?

So lets say I have some hours to kill, I could just FTC it until we're ready to eat right?

Or could that potentially overcook it? FTC is a good way to keep it warm, no?

If you cook it Friday night into Saturday, leave it in FTC for a couple-three hours.

I use those foam coolers from Omaha steaks, and I can keep stuff hot in them for upwards of 6 hours.

FLBentRider

Pork shoulder - butt end, not the picnic if you can get the butt.

The timimg depends on several factors.

The amount of food in the smoker, ambient temps, number of times you open the door, the temp you cook at.

I think that for one butt starting at 12 the day before should be plently of time, almost more than you need.

most butts of that size take around 12 to 16 hours. You want at least an hour of FTC before you serve.

So if you started at 6pm, by 1200 the next day that would be 18 hours, then FTC. I have FTC's in a five day cooler up to 7 hours.

You want an IT of 195-200F.

Pig map:
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Quarlow

Razzafrazza dirty rotten....... I am coming to the realization that you cannot buy pork butt in Canada. I picked up a package of 2 pork shoulders yesterday think I finally got the makings of pulled pork and after reading this I went to look at it and I'll be G'damned it is pork shoulder(picnic). GRRRR I guess I will use it to make sausage with. I wish there was a white butcher around here. Of course here when you say butcher your talking more expensive meat cause they can't compete with grocery chains.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

Q, you can make pulled pork out of them picnics.

You may have to hand chop some of the meat, but it will still be good!

Tenpoint5

As you can see. There is many different ways to time your cook. Some like to go overnight, some don't. Nothing wrong with either way but what it all comes down to is it's done when it is done. As has been mentioned the smoke will taste better the next day.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Q, you can most definitely make pulled pork out of a picinc.

Check this out.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=15432.0

Quarlow

Oh yeah I remember now any way I think I will use them for sausage as I have a boneless shoulder in the freezer to use for pulled pork. Thanks guys. I got to work on that one trackedness of mine. ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.