Yet another big smoker....

Started by Mr Walleye, May 22, 2010, 12:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Grillmaster

Hi Mike
My smoker is just about done I,m setting up the profile in the syl2352p. But, when I,m running the system to test it the controler 2352p and the 1512a temps are different from each other. i mean there are close. I,ve set the offsets with ice water. How close should they be within each other?
Chris

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Mr Grillmaster on March 18, 2012, 06:38:50 AM
Hi Mike
My smoker is just about done I,m setting up the profile in the syl2352p. But, when I,m running the system to test it the controller 2352p and the 1512a temps are different from each other. i mean there are close. I've set the offsets with ice water. How close should they be within each other?
Chris

To me the most important thing is that the temp in the cabinet is the temp shown on the 2352. Certainly doing the ice water calibration is a good way but probably the boil water method is more accurate. The other thing is, like me, you may have mounted your probes, say, in the back of the cabinet mid way up. When you run the smoker and measure the temps more in the centre of the cabinet with another temp probe you may some difference. You can use the offset to make the 2352 read the actual temp.

Because the 1512 is being used only as a high limit the displayed temp being off a couple of degrees in relationship to the 2352 really doesn't matter. However I have adjusted my 1512 over time to read the same. I just keep an eye on it and if it's out by a couple degrees I will adjust it.

Again, I think the most important thing is you adjust the 2352 to display what the meat is seeing for temps. Then over time you can adjust the 1512 to display the same temp as the 2352, although there will always seem to be 1 or 2 degrees difference at times.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Grillmaster

Mike
I did what you are saying I've adjusted the 1512 to the 2352 I was doing a temp over time check yesterday. i wanted to see how long it took for the smoker to get to 300 deg. and adjusted the 1512 offset several times. So i guess the thing to do is lets get smokin need to do a test run. I also added another 1512 as a meat thermometer. Ill give you an update. Thanks for the help. Chris

Mr Grillmaster

Mike
I have started up my smoker last weekend, I smoked two 8lb pork putts. they came out very good, but i have had some problems with the temperature controller 1512 (meat thermometer) was about 20deg less than a manual thermometer. I think i just need to fine tune it. The controller that controls cabinet worked great, also the 4" vent worked well no smoke through the smoke generator. putting the 3800 watt heater gets my smoker up to temp and mantains good temp.If you have any advice on the 1512 controller setting the offset, I'm about -20 offset i should be about -5 :)
Chris

VashonSmoke

The cedar smoker is mostly complete now.  We did our first run of bacon last night and it turned out tasty but salty.  When they say rinse, rinse, and rinse some more they aren't kidding.  Got a 6/4 SO cord running to the sub panel, 30amp 2pole breaker for burners, 2 20amp breakers for Bradley generator and extra power.  Not only built a smoker but works as a nice power distro as well.  Now the talk is if we should build another this size or go a little smaller.  Still have some cedar to cut up!

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Mr Grillmaster on April 01, 2012, 10:29:21 AM
Mike
I have started up my smoker last weekend, I smoked two 8lb pork putts. they came out very good, but i have had some problems with the temperature controller 1512 (meat thermometer) was about 20deg less than a manual thermometer. I think i just need to fine tune it. The controller that controls cabinet worked great, also the 4" vent worked well no smoke through the smoke generator. putting the 3800 watt heater gets my smoker up to temp and mantains good temp.If you have any advice on the 1512 controller setting the offset, I'm about -20 offset i should be about -5 :)
Chris

Chris

I have never used the 1512 as a meat thermometer but no reason why you can't. Seems odd that it's off that much. I would check to make sure you have the correct TC programmed into the controller. As well I would do a boil water test with the probe to see what it reads. Are you using a K type TC?

Mike

Mr Walleye

Lookin' good VashonSmoke!  8)

Mike

VashonSmoke

Thanks Mike...If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have known where to start with the electronics.  Got a bunch of meat marinating for jerky and hoping for good results!!

Mr Grillmaster

Vashonsmoke your cedar smoke house looks great, and your right about the forum lots of talent. Chris :)

Mr Grillmaster

Hey Mike
I am useing the k type tc, also I did do a boil water test,  i need to do it again to see if it went out of cal. I'll let you know what I come up with maybe my 1512 is ok and my manual thermometer is out of spec. Need to check that too.
Chris  :)