• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Just purchased OBS - Couple questions

Started by JayM, May 22, 2010, 03:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayM

I have my shiny (won't be for long) new OBS seasoning in my garage seasoning as I type.  A few questions that I'd appreciate some input on.  Keep in mind, I've never owned a smoker of any kind and only had a little smoker box on my grill for some flavor so hopefully these aren't dumb questions.

Vent:  Wide open, half opened, closed?  In what applications would you do each of these options?  Also, regarding the vent, can I run some dryer hose from the top of the vent to the outdoors if I decide to keep it in my garage?  Will the vent need to be run elevated to the smoker or will it push the smoker out if it has to go down?  For example, can I just run the hose from the top of the vent and lay it on the ground going out the garage door?

Bubba pucks:  I see most people are saying you need three, but I'm not sure I understand the logic.  If you're wasting two regular pucks without these, why not just purchase two?

Smoke:  Do you put smoke on the food the entire cooking time?  For example, if a recipe says to smoke for 4 hours until IT reaches 160, does this mean the food will reach 160 in 4 hours or not necessarily?

Anything else I need to know?  I'll be reading as much as possible on this site and hopefully these questions aren't answered in 500 different placed, but you know how it is when you get something new.  You want answers now!  ;)

Thanks in advance for your assistance.  Everyone on this forum does an awesome job helping out the community.

smokeitall

Vent --Always at least 1/4, personally mine stays on wide open for everything I smoke.

Pucks --You can use two bubba pucks with no problem, just put one wood puck on last to advance the bubba puck onto the hot plate with the next bubba puck next to it.  The wood one left won't burn then.

Smoke --The longest I have every went on smoke is 4 hours and that's on a pork butt.  Jerky about 4-5 pucks, more if you want it real smokey.  Chicken really gets smokey fast so I only go 2-3 pucks.....its really personal preference.

Anything else just ask...

SIA

classicrockgriller

JayM, Welcome to the Forum.

SIA has fixed you up.

Congrats on the new Bradley!

JayM

Great, thanks for the help.  I have a concrete slab right outside my side garage door that I'll set the smoker on when in use, so the smoke billowing into the house won't be a problem.

I'll be doing a whole chicken tomorrow followed with a Memorial Day weekend full of whatever I can find. =)  Look forward to being a part of the forum.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum JayM!

My Friends have answered your questions...

I would add that having not had a smoker, I would start on the lighter side of the smoke times.

Put 2 hours on the chicken and see how you like it. You can eat that and say "it needs more smoke" versus putting four hours of smoke on it, tasting it and tossing it for "too smokey"
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Hiram

You probably expect the smoke to come billowing out the top the first time you use it but in reality it's more of a wispy smoke. I was kind of disappointed didn't seem like much smoke to me, squat down and open the door and it will take your breath away. The smoke smells more intense and sweeter than regular hickory wood (or whatever wood) to me.

DTAggie

I find keeping vent 1/2 to 3/4 works best for me.  Start on the low side on smoke, but I personally like more.  I would use 3 Bubba Pucks that way you dot have to push last wood puck off to keep it from ashing. 

I have seen lots of pics on here of vent just running down to ground and out the garage.  Never tried it myself.  Leave my in backyard to smoke out my neighbors and make them jealous!!

Habanero Smoker

JayM;

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a guide that may help:
Vent Settings

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

love the smoke

One more thing on running a hose from your vent down along floor to the out side is probably not a good idea as it is not a forced air smoker, the heating of the air inside the smoker naturally makes the smoke want to rise it pulls the intake air from the smoke generator (see the louvers on the generator)

Pucks ... if you only purchase and use two bubba pucks you will leave one last wood puck on the hot plate to burn to oblivion thats why the three pucks or as smoketail suggest (good idea) two bubba pucks followed by a standard puck

As far as cook times ? its done when its done oh and try to keep a log on your smoking I keep one and it has helped tremendously, once you get going you will have a record of how long the pork butt takes and how long the ribs take, what smoke is good,

and most of all have fun and enjoy

LTS  
LTS

hal4uk

Quote from: love the smoke on May 23, 2010, 06:59:55 AM
One more thing on running a hose from your vent down along floor to the out side is probably not a good idea as it is not a forced air smoker, the heating of the air inside the smoker naturally makes the smoke want to rise it pulls the intake air from the smoke generator (see the louvers on the generator)  

BINGO! 
I'd say it's a very bad idea.
Routing a pipe UP and out - for a SHORT distance is ok. 
Anything more than that is asking for trouble.

---
Welcome JayM! --- hope that (double) WARNING helps  ;D

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

JayM

Thanks for all of the tips.  Here's a picture of the chicken.  It was delicious and incredibly easy.  I also now know why Bubba pucks are needed and just ordered 3 along with a wireless thermometer.

classicrockgriller

DarqMan

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

ArnieM

Hi JayM.  Little late here but welcome to the forum.

The pic below is one of my garage setups.  Have to run the vent wide open which I normally do anyway.  I can still get some drip-down condensation but it works in inclement weather.

More pics of the setup if you'd like them.  Just PM me.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.