• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First Pork Butt... Help Appreciated..

Started by Nodnarb, May 24, 2010, 10:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nodnarb

Hey guys, just got my OBS in Feb and have done a couple turns of ribs (3-2-1 method, turned out great). Gonna throw a party for Memorial Day and wanna do some pulled pork.... Can I get some advice on size of butt I need to feed 10 people, IT to bring it to before FTC'n it, how many hours roughly it will take and any other advice you can give me, to turn out a juicy, moist butt. Thanks in advance.

Nodnarb

FLBentRider

Quote from: Nodnarb on May 24, 2010, 10:44:21 AM
Hey guys, just got my OBS in Feb and have done a couple turns of ribs (3-2-1 method, turned out great). Gonna throw a party for Memorial Day and wanna do some pulled pork.... Can I get some advice on size of butt I need to feed 10 people, IT to bring it to before FTC'n it, how many hours roughly it will take and any other advice you can give me, to turn out a juicy, moist butt. Thanks in advance.

Nodnarb

I would do 2 or three ~7lb pork butts.

Depending on when you want to serve, I would:

1. Rub the butts with your favorite rub - I like this one: http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?86-Pulled-Pork-and-Sauce&p=99#post99

2. Wrap with plastic wrap for a 24 hour rest in the fridge.

3. Preheat smoker and Smoker generator, take butts out of fridge (about an hour)

4. Assuming a 6pm serving time, I would start around 8pm the night before. Apply up to 4 hours of smoke @205-225F - empty / refill water bowl after smoke, vent 1/2 open.

5. Continue to cook to an IT of 195-200F. Rotate racks every ~four hours.

6. FTC at least one hour, up to four hours, if they get done early

7. Pull and enjoy.

EDIT: Corrected typo in cooking temp.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

That is a pretty good time line to follow. The 2225º temp is a little high ;D but 225º should do you just fine.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Nodnarb

Thanks FLBent much appreciated. I wasnt going to be a smart-azz but what kind of mods do I have to make to get my OBS us to 2225??? just joking, thanks for your help.

FLBentRider

Quote from: Nodnarb on May 24, 2010, 11:48:41 AM
Thanks FLBent much appreciated. I wasnt going to be a smart-azz but what kind of mods do I have to make to get my OBS us to 2225??? just joking, thanks for your help.

That is for those that want them done a little faster. Just crank up Mr. Fusion with 2.2 Gigglewatts... add a little Makers Mark...

"Hold my Makers Mark, watch this!"
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!