OBS Front Control Plate

Started by banditto1969, May 28, 2010, 10:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

banditto1969

My OBS was about 8 months old when I noticed the control plate had cracked the feet off.  Not sure how but I called Bradley and they sent me a new lower face plate with controls, etc.   I'm an engineer and I noticed how the design isn't exactly robust... the plastic is thin, half the weight rests on the front cover which is fastened with 5 screws with multiple holes to screw through...  So I use a dolly to move so I don't have to pick it up and shock the feet.

well with my new cover I did one smoke during the winter maybe 2.  The the spring came I did no smokes, and early summer I did a pork butt the other day.  And today I am loading it into the truck to take to the cottage and do 6 chickens for the holiday. and voila'  *** I find the lower front cover has again fractured into 8 pieces.  Keep in mind I only raised it off the ground once to load it onto the dolly.  The dolly is larger than the base and has 4 wheels--thats it. 

So my question is, is it time to cut a new lower front cover out a piece of angle aluminum and be done with it?  It needs to be stronger... $8 for a piece of aluminum and a little machining (which I can do easily) and this won't happen again.

Tenpoint5

I believe you can get another set of back feet and mount them on the front to take the strain off the faceplate. I have the DBS so I have not encountered this problem.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TestRocket

I too have ran across the back feet to front feet mod in these forums for that very reason.

classicrockgriller

I took my Smoker to the Deer Camp and it rode in the front seat on a pillow with the seat belt on. ;D

If you can make a face plate that easy, I'll buy one! Serious!

Quarlow

My OBS still has not cracked and I carry it in and out of the house everytime and have not added the foot conversion yet. But if someone was to come up with a suitable replacement they would not have trouble getting rid of likely quite afew. Give it your best shot.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

Here is the link for the modification 10.5 mentioned.

Cracked Face Plate

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BigJohnT

I'm interested in what you come up with...

I do quite a bit of fabrication and machinery design during the day...

JT

Smokin Soon

Don't have to get real complicated on this one. I don't have an OBS, but a couple of buddies do. After reading the problems about the front plate, I just cut them a couple of shims from hardwood to put more of the load on the cabinet. I think I got the idea here but cannot remember!

love the smoke

I have the modification done to mine and the front faceplate still cracked so yes there needs to be a more permanent fix and not just a band aid so if you do come up with some sort of faceplate made out of aluminum or maybe stainless please let us know

LTS
LTS

Smokin Soon

So is it the heat or the weight of the the front support that causes the problem?? ???

classicrockgriller

SS, I'm sure I will get corrected but they basically contribute the

cracking of the face plate to two different reasons.

The first being the weight on the front feet being supported on the face plate.

The second is the factory holes drilled for the face plate were too small and the

person attaching the screws, screw them too tight on installation.

Is funny that some people experience it and some people don't.

Kinda reminds me of the old saying about buying a Volkswagen ...

"Never buy one built in a month where there is no R".

I bought an OBS. My face plate cracked. I put a coustomized piece

of Duct tape over the crack to keep moisture out.

Is all good .... Smoke on!

Smokin Soon

CRG, you and me think alike! Duct Tape and Bailing wire will git'r done!

DTAggie

Banditto.  On my second face plate.  If you can make the aluminum work, I am in for one for sure.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Smokin Soon on May 28, 2010, 05:35:41 PM
Don't have to get real complicated on this one. I don't have an OBS, but a couple of buddies do. After reading the problems about the front plate, I just cut them a couple of shims from hardwood to put more of the load on the cabinet. I think I got the idea here but cannot remember!

I came up with that solution, it was to address two issues; cracked face plate and fluid dripping out of the door. I used that until someone came up with the idea of using the rear feet. I then made that modification, it work until back in March a wind storm blew my smoker off my cart and did some serious damage to the face plate and door. Both possible fixes are  included in this writeup.

Cracked Face Plate

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BigJohnT

Quote from: Smokin Soon on May 28, 2010, 06:17:52 PM
So is it the heat or the weight of the the front support that causes the problem?? ???

The plastic is just too thin... looks good on paper.

JT