Recipe for Disaster or The Worst Pizza Ever

Started by BigJohnT, May 28, 2010, 01:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJohnT

I'm stuck at a customers place yesterday and pizza was the menu and I was the cook. I finally get out of there and head home hours late. I grab a dry mix crust and whoop it out. Cover the bowl for a rest. Didn't have time to make proper crust  >:( I fire up the oven and put it on convention bake... sprinkle a little corn meal on the peal and spread the crust out... put the sauce cheese and toppings on. I give the peal a shake to make sure the crust is free... c**p it's stuck! So I fight that for a bit then finally get it loose and sling it into the oven on the stone a few degrees early just so it won't stick on the peal again. Wife hollers a few minutes later that the pizza is done she can smell it. I grab the peal and c**p it's stuck to the stone! I fight it off of there and am not a happy camper at this point as the pizza looks like it was slung against the wall and pealed off then put on the plate... so I go to my beer cave to rest for a few minutes. I ate some anyway.

Mistakes
Not enough time to do it right
Convection instead of Conventional (stone was cold)
Not enough corn meal on the peal
Not tossing it in the trash and making a peanut butter and sugar sandwich...
Not looking under the crust to see if it is really done
Using crust in a bag instead of real crust

She did eat all of her half...

I did find a good recipe for pizza crust from Alton Brown that I'm going to try. I've put it on my recipe database at JT's place. He says you can keep it up to a week in the fridge... Scott says he use to get frozen pizza crust... I wonder if you can freeze that recipe too? Anyone who knows if you can take a look and let me know if I can freeze the dough that would be great.

Thanks
JT

KyNola

First mistake, didn't go to beer cave first! :D

Man don't you hate it when something like that happens?  I've done something like that a million times and think "now why did I even try that?"

classicrockgriller

That kinda day is a Day you keep a DiGiorno Pizza in the Freezer. ;D

We don't get Homemade Pizza Crust at our house.

My wife instead buys "Mama Mary's" premade Crust (Walmart carries this)

They come in 3 or 4 different kinds and they stay good for a while.

We use Thin & Crispy and Whole Wheat.

They are pretty good.

Cholesterol Free and Made with Honey! ;D

deb415611

JT,

You can freeze the crust.  Prep it like you would to let it rise  -  spray it or roll it in oil  and wrap in plastic wrap.  When you take it out of the freezer take it out of plastic wrap & put in bowl or plastic bag (oil the ball again first) and let rise.  I usually throw it in the fridge to thaw out. 

I have read that you should use a little more yeast if you are going to freeze to compensate for any that dies off in the freezer.   I haven't done this alot but I use my regular crust without the added yeast and it works fine.

Read the reviews on Alton's crust recipe - I remember reading that one of his recipe's was really salty.  You may want to cut back a bit. 

Deb

Sorce

Quote from: classicrockgriller on May 28, 2010, 02:00:43 PM
That kinda day is a Day you keep a DiGiorno Pizza in the Freezer. ;D

My fall back is a box of kraft macaroni and cheese and maybe some pizza rolls. I like to experiment in the kitchen, I've only ever had to go to the mac and cheese one time. I keep thinking I should build a box with glass I can break on the front to add to the sense of emergency.

BigJohnT

Quote from: deb415611 on May 28, 2010, 02:37:35 PM
JT,

You can freeze the crust.  Prep it like you would to let it rise  -  spray it or roll it in oil  and wrap in plastic wrap.  When you take it out of the freezer take it out of plastic wrap & put in bowl or plastic bag (oil the ball again first) and let rise.  I usually throw it in the fridge to thaw out. 

I have read that you should use a little more yeast if you are going to freeze to compensate for any that dies off in the freezer.   I haven't done this alot but I use my regular crust without the added yeast and it works fine.

Read the reviews on Alton's crust recipe - I remember reading that one of his recipe's was really salty.  You may want to cut back a bit. 

Deb

Thanks again Deb,

Do you have a favorite crust recipe?

John

pensrock

BJT, One thing I learned was to put the crust onto a piece of parchment. It never sticks to the peal or the stone. I think Deb gave me that tip. I do not use corn meal anymore.

ArnieM

I know I'm not much help here.  I don't bake pizza, except for the frozen ones.  I did see somewhere that the cornmeal can burn and there's an alternative.  Just can't think of it.  Maybe tapioca?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

deb415611

Here is a link with the recipes that I use   http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8596.0   It's an old link but I still make the same ones. 

Pens is right, I gave him the parchment idea.  I hate cleaning cornmeal etc out of my oven and use parchment.  It doesn't burn, gets dark & brittle if any is not covered with pizza but have never had it ignite.

Here are a few that I have done:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8147.0

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8952.0  - this one has the recipe & I don't think it's in the link above

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3904.msg32795.html#msg32795

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.msg27615.html#msg27615

BigJohnT

WOW! Thanks for all the links Deb. I like the one "from the book" then scroll down to "my way"  ;D

The percentages of the ingredients are a percentage of the flour weight I assume.

I gotta get on the band wagon for pizza dough.

Does the bottom get as done when you use the parchment paper?

Thanks again
John

BigJohnT

After hours of reading all the links I tried a middle of the road dough. I whooped it up for 15 minutes the oiled and covered and put in the fridge overnight. I pulled one out when I got home and let it warm up. I pulled the dough out and started to work it and WAM it got stuck together. I tried to flatten it out and it was like a giant rubber band. After some hand to hand combat I got it flatter and threw some sauce and peperoni on it and tossed it in the oven. Next I pulled the cold one out and floured it down a bit and worked it as flat as I could. This one came out much better but I'm still missing some technique when it comes to the dough. I used parchment paper on both and I'm sold on that idea.

We like a thin crust pizza. Anyone have any hints or tips on getting that?

This is the ingredients list that I used.
Flour (100%):    386.89 g  King Author Bread Flour
Water (63%):    243.74 g
IDY (.25%):    0.97 g
Salt (1.5%):    5.8 g
Sugar (1%):    3.87 g
Total (165.75%):   641.26 g
Single Ball:   320.63 g

Thanks
John

BuyLowSellHigh

Tip 1 - don't whoop it up so much.   ;D
When shaping if you find yourself fighting the dough set it aside for 5-10 minutes to let it relax, then proceed.  If the gluten is highly developed you may need to work in stages 2-3 times.

What you're fighting is gluten, that's the rubber band.  Two things promote the development of gluten: (1) mechanical mixing (more = more gluten);  (2) time , again longer time means more gluten.

Your recipe looks good using KA Bread Flour, which has a solid protein content (12.7%), meaning it will easily develop gluten.  Here is what I would suggest for mixing:

1.  combine flour, water, salt and sugar (although I don't think you need it with a 24 hour retarded rise) and mix until it just comes together into a shaggy mass.  Cover and let sit at room temp for 10-20 min's. 

2.  after the rest add the yeast and mix  -- if mixing in a Kitchen Aid or similar mixer use the 2nd speed for ~2 min's and no  more,  If mixing by hand it will probably take a couple of minutes longer - go until just smooth and all yeast has been incorporated.  You don't want an elastic dough, just a thoroughly mixed one.

3.  Place in a large lightly oiled bowl, drizzle a few drops of EVOO, turn to coat.  Cover the bowl  and place immediately in the refrigerator for up to 24 hrs.  If keeping more than 24 hrs, degas at the halfway point by gently lifting the sides and flattening –don't go punching or kneading, be gentle.

When you are ready to proceed remove from the fridge and allow to come to room temp for ~ 2hrs. Then divide and rest the balls for ~ 1-2 hrs.  Then shape.

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

BigJohnT

BLSH,

Thanks so much for the info. Now I have something to work with.
On step 1 by "it" do you mean the sugar?
And yes I'm using a Kitchen Aid Mixer.
When shaping the dough I'm guessing from my experience the other day plenty of flour on the table.
Just use a rolling pin or shape it by hand then roll it to get it thin?

I think I'm starting to understand the beast a bit more  ;D

I see we think similar as I "love" animals too.

JT

BuyLowSellHigh

BJT,

Yes,  by "it" I mean sugar.

Sine you're using a KA mixer, I suggest you put the water, salt, and sugar in the bowl, with the dough hook attached set speed = 1 and steadily add the flour in ~ 1/2 cup increments until it is all in.  That will probably take about 2 min's.  At about the time you're done with that you should have the shaggy ball.  Stop, cover and let rest (leave the hook in the bowl).  When you resume use the dough hook in your hand to fold in the yeast, then mix on speed 2 for ~ 2 - 2.5 mins.  The you should be done.

For shaping I do by hand on a granite counter top that has been floured, but not more than is needed.  I do it by flattening the ball, then working with my fingertips pressing down starting near the edge (leave ~ 1/2 " for border) and rotating as I go working toward the center.

Question - how thin is thin and how big are you shooting for (diameter).  from your dough ball weight I am guessing ~ 12", so not paper or cracker thin, but traditional Napolenta thin?
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

BigJohnT

I'm shooting for 12"-14" about 1/8" thick I think. Not paper thin kinda like the Pizza Hut thin crust thickness.

So if I mix for 15 minutes and let it set for 24 hours I get too much gluten  ;D

Thanks again for the information... it is starting to come together in my mind now.

John