Hello

Started by KItsapSteve, May 28, 2010, 04:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KItsapSteve

Its Steve from Bremerton WA, Just picked up the BTDS108P
Great price on Amazon 474
First one showed up at house witha dent in the door, boxed back up and new one came FEDEX 2 days later.
Just seasoned it, Now what the hell do I make first..

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum KItsapSteve!

I would do a whole chicken or a pork butt.

Check out our recipe site by clicking on the ribs at the bottom of this post.

Make sure you keep the vent open at least 1/4 - full open for poultry.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Gizmo

Welcome Steve.
Pork butts are probably the easiest but also quite long for doing it low and slow.  As FLBentRider mentioned, check out the recipe site and browse the selections.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

KItsapSteve

Well do and Thanks ,, really excited about it

KItsapSteve

I feel stupid, Im reading these posts, what does PID stand for, and do I need to use a seperate Digital Therometer, I have one for my grill and i can easily use it!

Gizmo

Proportional Integral Derivative or something close to it.  :D
It is a very accurate temperature controller.

Yes you should use a digital temp probe.  Better if you use one in the meat and one to monitor the temperature near the meat to better monitor the temperature that the meat is experiencing.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

A PID is an add-on that allows much more accurate temp control.

Terminology http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?488-Answers-To-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s&p=766#post766

There is a dual probe PID that has a meat probe, but I would recommend the Maverick ET-73 to monitor your smoker.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

Welcome to the forum Steve!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

KItsapSteve

Sorce

Welcome Steve, fellow newbie here doing my first smoke this weekend. I asked for the bradley for my birthday and had been lurking in the forums for a while leading up to it. Just check out some of the posts here and don't be afraid to ask questions.

My first smoke is a couple of pork butts that are in the fridge with a nice coating of rub as we speak. I read up on several posts on the best way to do them, then posted my game plan and it looks like i'm on the right track.

I must say that in my short time here it looks like this forum is almost like a family and really willing to help each other out. I'm glad I purchased a bradley and found this forum.

aces-n-eights

Welcome Steve!  I grew up across the state from you - Spokane area...  Definitely check out the recipe site and don't hesitate to ask questions.  Get ready to crank out some great grub from your Bradley!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

ArnieM

Hi Steve and welcome.  I'm not sure if I'd call this place a community or extended family.  Don't forget, we like pictures.

Chicken is good.  A whole one is usually spatchcocked - cut in half and flattened out.  I think most of us finish it on the grill or in the oven to get the skin crispy.

Certainly butt is good but takes a long time.

I cook to Internal Temp (IT) rather than time.  I'll make a time estimate, not always accurate, but plan to get "it" done before dinner and then FTC it for a while.  Nothing worse than saying "Maybe just a couple more hours people."
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

DTAggie

Welcome Steve, I would suggest a butt.  Everyone loves some good butt.

KyNola

Hey Steve.  Welcome aboard.  Like my learned comrades I would suggest either pork butt or chicken.

Have fun and hang in here with us.

KyNola

KItsapSteve

I picked up a Pork Roast , Doing Hickoy Cherry Pork for the UFC tomorrow night, read up sleeves up ready to go,,, have ribs  and a Beef brisket lined up for the rest of the weekend