Second go around with beef jerky, pic

Started by chiroken, May 29, 2010, 02:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiroken

Well, another go around, turned out OK. Did 2 different marinades this time (1st was same as my 1st jerky 2 wks ago), 2nd was to be spicy'r. I removed the cayenne and chilli pepper (left the ground black pepper corns) from the 1st recipe (total 1 1/2 tsp) and replaced it with 4 tsp of a cajun spice. Plan was to have it hotter, turned out less spicy, seems more sweet though? The cajun does have other spices that act as filler so that's why I added what I thought was alot.

The commercial jerky that is spicy, is there a typical spice or combination that is used or can it be literally anything? My first recipe I put together used ground black pepper corns, chilli pepper and cayenne pepper. I realized it can be personal taste, my personal taste likes the hot commercial stuff!

I think I must have made these slices thicker as well as it took 10 hours total to dry and I used basically the same temps as last time (took just under 6:45hrs).

Think I'm going to give candied salmon a go next time around.

Not sure if I've got photobucket resizing correctly, are the images too large? Thanks

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

chiroken

This size better? I can't seem to default the resize option with photobucket.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

KevinG

There's an option under the download button you can select and permanently change your size. I use medium and that size works pretty good.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

chiroken

under the green "upload images and videos" I click the "more options" link and then choose a new size. Nothing to save this setting though as when I go back into the same link it has gone back to the larger default.

KevinG

You got it, you just have to have the screen maximized in order to see the save button.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

chiroken

I had tried to find a way to scroll down that page 3-4 times and couldn't do so, I figured there was a save button. Just went back and what happens??? Go figures...saved.

Gizmo

Quote from: chiroken on May 29, 2010, 02:15:57 PM
I removed the cayenne and chili pepper (left the ground black pepper corns) from the 1st recipe (total 1 1/2 tsp) and replaced it with 4 tsp of a cajun spice. Plan was to have it hotter, turned out less spicy, seems more sweet though? The cajun does have other spices that act as filler so that's why I added what I thought was alot.

The commercial jerky that is spicy, is there a typical spice or combination that is used or can it be literally anything?

As you probably know, different spices and different brands even of the same spice can vary in heat.  I have several different blends of paprika that ranges from sweet to fairly hot. Chili powder the same.

Now for real heat, I made up a mixture of black long pepper, jalapeno, super cayenne, habanero, and naga peppers all mixed up.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/