Whole Wheat Bread from my Starter. Also BEER Bread!

Started by classicrockgriller, May 30, 2010, 10:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Was talking with BuyLowSellHigh (Eric) about wanting to make some Whole Wheat Bread out of my Starter.

He gave me back some the ways to adjust the mixture and this is what happened.

I used:

1 cup of starter
1/4 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of Oil plus a teaspoon
3/4 cup of water plus a tablespoon
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 cups sifted Whole Wheat Flour (King Arthur)
1 1/2 cups of King Arthur Bread Flour.

Thanks Eric! The Bread is a delicious sweet whole wheat bread! My wife is sorta a healt nut (besides just plain nuts) and she was impressed.

I may have to increase the cooking time just a little to offset the whole wheat, but other than that it is good to go.

Quarlow

Mmmmmm fresh wholewheat bread. Damn that is some good looking bread Sonny.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

deb415611

mikeradio

Wow that looks like great bread CRG.  Good job

BuyLowSellHigh

Looks great CRG - and looks like you snuck up on thew right hydration level.  So, what's next?
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

classicrockgriller

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on May 31, 2010, 10:02:37 AM
Looks great CRG - and looks like you snuck up on thew right hydration level.  So, what's next?

Again Thank you for your Help!

I will probably do this again and work on the cooking time.

No one else noticed, but I have made this Bread enough that I exam the bread after cutting.

If you look at the very bottom of the slices of bread you will see a 1/4 to 3/8 area that is darker and denser

than rest of the bread and I am assuming (I hate to assume .... it makes an ass/u/me! ;D) that it needed

just a bit more oven time.

Now that I pointed that out, What do you think?

TTNuge

I can't stand whole wheat bread but I think I'd even eat some of that.  Never had fresh whole wheat before.

classicrockgriller

With the other cup of Starter, I made this. (for my ICB entry)

BEER BREAD

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: classicrockgriller on May 31, 2010, 10:50:18 AM
Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on May 31, 2010, 10:02:37 AM

Again Thank you for your Help!

I will probably do this again and work on the cooking time.

No one else noticed, but I have made this Bread enough that I exam the bread after cutting.

If you look at the very bottom of the slices of bread you will see a 1/4 to 3/8 area that is darker and denser

than rest of the bread and I am assuming (I hate to assume .... it makes an ass/u/me! ;D) that it needed

just a bit more oven time.

Now that I pointed that out, What do you think?

From the web pics it's hard to judge.  A comment and a couple of question .

Comment – from the openness at the top it would appear that you were bordering on being over-proofed.  Minimally this causes an imbalance in density from the top to bottom (top will typically be a bit less dense due to the weight of the dough).  But from what I can see it appears too open on the top relative to the bottom.  Whole grain breads are typically denser and less open than their refined flour counterparts.  That's normal and part of the attraction (more stuff and less air =>  more flavor per bite).  If you want it to be more open then I would try higher hydration (more water), don't push the proof,  and hotter baking temp at least initially (get the initial burst from heat at the bottom of the loaf). 

Questions – how do you shape the dough?  It appears there is a seam on the right side of the pics.  Second question – are you familiar with the stretch and fold technique?

classicrockgriller

I had a lot of things going on and it didn't get my full attention, but I am quite happy with the first try!

I think that is actually a crease made in the crust when I pick up the loaf (it was wide ... Made it in a 8 x 8 ).

I will learn "stretch and fold" if you want to explain it.

I think I use "pull and tuck" method. ;D

edit: I do see what you are talking about.

DarqMan

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

OU812

Thats some damn good lookin bread Sonny!

Now I'm gonna hafta find some KA Whole Wheat Flour.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: OU812 on June 01, 2010, 07:58:14 AM
Thats some damn good lookin bread Sonny!

Now I'm gonna hafta find some KA Whole Wheat Flour.

I plan on making some more later part of the week. All this is going pretty fast.

I might try to take some of the starter and make pancakes just to see what happens.

BuyLowSellHigh

Sonny,

The Beer Bread doesn't show any of the signs that the WW did - it looks outstanding.  My suspicion is you just need some more baking time with WW to get use to the subtle differences in how the dough behaves and how it bakes.  It will probably rise a bit less and end up a bit denser.  All of that is normal.

Really good looking stuff !

classicrockgriller

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on June 01, 2010, 08:08:38 AM
Sonny,

The Beer Bread doesn't show any of the signs that the WW did - it looks outstanding.  My suspicion is you just need some more baking time with WW to get use to the subtle differences in how the dough behaves and how it bakes.  It will probably rise a bit less and end up a bit denser.  All of that is normal.

Really good looking stuff !

I will let rise not as long and increase the cooking time and see what happens.

The texture and taste were good and no one notice the condensed 1/4 inch but me.

I bake these in glass. Do you think switching to metal would heat better?