• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Ping.... Caneyscud

Started by Tenpoint5, June 01, 2010, 09:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hal4uk

Caney, I had more than a few "Brawney Lads" at the old Shoney's that used to be at Harding Place and Nolensville road.
Lived up at the top of the hill (across Nolensville Rd) from Harding Mall back in the 70s...
Used to sneak into a bar (slightly underage) further out Nolensville Rd. - think it was called the "Roller Coaster".. ??
Ever heard of "Clarence Perry and the Mercy Blues Band"?..
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Caneyscud

I didn't realize you used to live in Nashvegas!  Small world!

Brawney Lads - man I haven't heard of that sandwich in decades.  Loved the rye bun.  Wish someone would buy that old Shoneys and do something good with it.   It's standing empty now.  Too busy of a corner for it to stand empty - but it is in a part a town that has gone immigrant. 

Don't remember the Roller Coaster.  You mean you didn't go to the World Famous Twin Kegs!  But I guess that was too long of a walk.  They were famous for the underage patrons. 

Clarence Perry and the Mercy Blues Band.  Heard of them, but never heard them - my taste goes toward Country Western.  Doing some of the prep work for the "Batman" building, we had to move Hatch Showprint.  For helping them with some code issues, they let me go through some of their old stock.  Man that was a history of who played where and at what time.  One of the posters was for Clarence Perry and the Mercy Blues Band playing at the Backstage.  I have a good friend in the music business that says he used to go to the Backstage a lot in his early years.  I'll have to ask him if he remembers them.  He has 4 or 5 bands that play a lot of Van Morrison stuff. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

hal4uk

Those were FUN times..
CP & the MBB could flat-out bring the house down.

If you like C&W, I reckon you might have been to "The Wrangler" on Murphreesboro Rd...
Back before it also became... Uhhh... "what it is now"...
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Caneyscud

Funny thing - the Wrangler was after I had to retire from "kicker" dancing as we called it in the 70's.  Back in Texas, used to hit 2 or 3 dance halls just about every week.  I'd hit Lakeview (near College Station) on Thursday night - drive home to my girlfriend on Friday evening. Hits some place that night, and the girlfriend would always have someplace for us to go on Sat. night also - The Crystal Chandelier in New Braunfels, VFW, American Legion, Bexar Bowling Society, Bastrop, Braun Hall, Gruene Dance Hall, St. Hedwig's, Knights of Columbus, Lukenbach, Clear Springs, Hermann Sons, The Bluebonnet, and a couple more that I can't remember their names. 

After grad.  - took job in Dallas and went to a coupla places there, but the company moved me in about 3 months to Nashville.  I was pretty excited, home of country music - there's be a dance hall on every corner.  Boy was I a bewb.  Was not a single one - except the Starlight - sort of.  Went there only once - and have never looked back.  Don't even go into that part of town much - but recently had to pass it a few times - and I still shudder.  Felt like a piece of raw meat in front of a lot of smokers.  Had a 52" chest, 19" neck, but could stuff myself into 34" wranglers and the place was full of "desperate middle-aged housewives" - or at least that night. 

I quickly found out there was a difference between Country and C&W!  A year later I was married - she doesn't like C&W and she had never danced being held - only those spasmoid ways of all the other people  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  So my C&W dancing times were over!!!  Unless I can sneak back home and catch a reunion or a wedding reception.  The Wrangler was after I got married.

In Texas we like to hold our wimmen when we dance. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

hal4uk

LOL!  If that's the JOINT I'm thinking of... 
NW - on Old Hickory? (I think)...
Yeah.. might even be shut down now...

Lukenbach (sp?)...
In one of my previous lives..
I stopped to fill up my tank...  Didn't see a SINGLE SIGN anywhere...
Hey, Buddy.. where am I?
"Lukenbach".
You mean.. THE Lukenbach?  Like the song?
"Yup"
Why ain't there any SIGNS?
"They keep stealin' 'em. So we we quit puttin' 'em up... See that building across the steet?  That's the Post office..."
Awrighten.
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

I have a sign from Luckenbach ... ;D

FIL used to have some Venison Salami made in Luckenbach.

Was some great stuff!

He guarded like Fort Knox!

JohnRawlings

Clarence Perry and the Mercy Blues. His wife was Mary. Very good friends of mine. Backup bank for Roy Orbison actually.

hal4uk

Quote from: JohnRawlings on September 15, 2011, 09:22:20 AM
Clarence Perry and the Mercy Blues. His wife was Mary. Very good friends of mine. Backup bank for Roy Orbison actually.
Well, waddya know!  Nice to meet you John!
It's been a lot of years gone by now...
But, I remember them flat-out ROCKIN THE HOUSE!
Good times!
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby