Another new guy

Started by dtro, June 02, 2010, 04:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtro

Hi I just received my obs a few days ago and because of the lousy weather I had to wait until yesterday to do my first brisket. Did not come out as good as expected as I could not get the smoker temp above 130 F. Replugged all of the connections between the smoke generator, tower and outlet. Not using an extension cord. Temp was around 60 and a little breezy. Tomorrow is supposed to be dry so I am going to try the temperature(no food) and see what happens. Have been browsing around the forum and getting a lot of good ideas. Live in the lovely (wet and cloudy) State of Washington

classicrockgriller

Welcome to the forum dtro.

That don't sound good, only 130*.

Almost sounds like the main element is not working.

Did you see any red glow from the element?

DarqMan

Yeah, 130 sounds like only the smoke generator is running. Follow CRG's advice and check the element to see if it's glowing red. Might be defective or have something loose.

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum dtro!

Sounds like CRG has you on the right track.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

VI_Smoker

Welcome to the forum, I'm on a soggy Vancouver Island - we've have had a pretty miserable spring so far on the wet (west) coast this year!! :-\

DTAggie

Welcome dtro, how are you measuring cabinet temp?  Did it get higher temp when seasoning?  You can check the element real quick.  It should be glowing shortly after plugging in if it is working correctly.  If not, the folks at Bradley will have a new one to you ASAP.  Very easy to replace.

ArnieM

Welcome to the forum dtro.  Sorry to hear about the problem.  As suggested, see if the cabinet heater glows red.  Don't listen to CRG if he says to stick your finger on it to test for temp  :D

It does sound like the cabinet heater isn't working.  Plug the cabinet heater (rear plug) directly into the power (one power cord), slide the slider all the way to the right and see if you get heat.

If it doesn't heat up, call Bradley in the morning ask ask for Brian.  He can help you through the dilemma.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.