Cleaning/Seasoning [?]

Started by Lasse, June 02, 2005, 12:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lasse

Hi,

I received my BS yesterday and started with the seasoning.

While that was going on I read the manual and saw this:
<i>
Steps Maintenance Procedures
3. Remove food particles and/or grease
residue from the smoker. If the inside
surface requires cleaning, lightly wipe
it with a damp cloth. <b>Once you have
cleaned the smoker, you must re-condition
the tower.</b> Refer to 'Seasoning'
method in 'Operation Guidelines'</i>

The first seasoning is to get rid of the smell from the manufacturing and that's ok, but why is it necessary to do a new seasoning when the BS has been cleaned with a damp cloth only?

Anyone of you follow that instruction?

I hope that I can try and smoke some sausages tonight otherwise I'll have to wait until Sunday before I can use it.

I have read a lot from this forum and hopefully learnt a little. [:)]
I have used a Brinkman water smoker before but I think the BS will be a lot better.

Nice beeing here.

/Lasse

Habanero Smoker

Lassie,
Welcome to the forum.

I wipe out the inside of my smoker frequently with a damp cloth to remove spattered grease and food particles on the walls of the smoker. When I do this I do not season the tower again, as long as the tower has a smoke residue build up.

If your read the next paragraph of the manual it states:

<center><i><font color="green">Note: The tower should have smoke or black
residue on the inside. The more residue
the better the product will taste (e.g:
Similar to a cast iron frying pan, it
must be conditioned before using).</font id="green"></i></center>

So as long as it has a good coating or residue (at least as much build up as when it was first seasoned), I would not recondition the tower. I would only recondition the tower if for some reason I had thoroughly clean the tower, and most of the residue has been removed.

Since I've had my Bradley, I only had to recondition it once. That was when I did 10 pounds of chicken wings, and the moisture from the wings built up so much inside the tower, that a good deal of smoke residue peeled of the walls.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

I have had my BS for around 9 months and have not as yet reconditioned it, as Habs said just a light wipe over internally to remove splattered grease and food but this has never led to the need to have to season it again. [:D]

Manxman.
Manxman

nsxbill

What can I say?  The BS won't fit in the dishwasher.  I clean the pan, the shelves the V-pan and wipe off the burner pad.  Unless it is flaking off, the interior is black and I leave it alone.  I plan on cleaning my other SS model the same way.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

BigRed

I do the same clean the racks, clean the water bowl and the V drip pan. Then start smoking all over again!!!

BigRED

Lasse

Hi and TnX for the Welcome your answers.

I did have to try it out even if it rained.

I went and bought pre-made sausages and I just tried a few of the smaller ones and I liked the taste.
I started with 2 Mesquite and finished with 6 Pecan. The big sausage it resting in the smoker now.

I have some pics from the resultat:
http://smoker.americats.com/

It'll be fun if the result on Sunday is as good as this! Or better!!

TnX again

/Lasse

owrstrich

i gotts to agree with the racks... tray... bowl...

aint never cleaned anything else... except the slobber that leaks from my lips as i periodicaly adjust the damper...

you gotts to eat...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Oldman

Welcome, I will not address your question as it has been answered by the group already

What I will do is invite you to our recipe site. There is one open posting forum at the top so you can post any time test and proven recipe you have. It will be edited and then added to the correct catagory.  Also you may upload your foods images there. Please read the thread that is posted there about uploading pictures.

This is the  addy for the <b><font color="blue">Recipe Site</font id="blue"></b>

Again welcome to this place and I know each of us is looking forward to what you have to post!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lasse</i>
<br />The big sausage it resting in the smoker now.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
No I'm not![:I][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Lasse

Hi,

No comment on the resting sausage. [:D]

TnX Old's for the right url to the recipe site.
I have looked at:
http://susan.rminor.com/smokers/ but your link is better.

I will start a new topic about the cold smoking box.

See Ya'll there.

/Lasse

JJC

Hi Lasse,

after looking at your sausage pix, I'm hading downstairs for a midnight snack . . . [:p]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Hi,

No comment on the resting sausage.

TnX Old's for the right url to the recipe site.
I have looked at:
http://susan.rminor.com/smokers/ but your link is better.

I will start a new topic about the cold smoking box.

See Ya'll there.

/Lasse<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> As soon as Chez get the E-mail I set he will update the old addy you have to the new one. Then the old one is going the way of the Dodo Bird.

I was thinking that we need another thread about cold smoke and a box. ... Looking forward to it.

Well I posted and coded another 10 recipes tonight...phew I just have to now check that I did not miss anything before we start adding new recipes.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I was thinking that we need another thread about cold smoke and a box<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's a great idea Raye.[:)]

Manxman.
Manxman