• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

???Good or Bad???

Started by KevinG, June 11, 2010, 09:38:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinG

Well I don't know if this story is a good one or bad one, but many of you may remember the article I did for the newsletter for the Garmin Rino 530Hcx, I mentioned that there is a little adapter you need to charge the unit with that can easily get lost, sure enough I lost mine last week when I took my nephews out shooting. I spent all this week going through everything we brought with us hoping I would find it but no luck. I decided to take the GPS back with me and backtrack my trail to see if I could find it (they want $50 to replace it, and I figured it would be worth the $5 in gas to look). I spent about 3 hours backtracking my trail and believe it or not I found it. Of course Murphy's law took affect and it was at the very end of the trail, and unfortunately it was a little damaged, but it does still work. So as far as the GPS's ability to backtrack goes, I guess it's pretty good because that piece is only about 2" X 2" X 1/2" and I found it out in the middle of nowhere. Too bad Garmins engineers had to design that piece into the GPS's charging adapter in the first place.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Sailor

Nice Job.....now if someone could just come up with an invention to go on an arrow that would give out a GPS signal.  Sad to say that I have lost a blood trail and lost a deer.  But then if you shoot through the dear I guess the GPS would not help either  :'(

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

FLBentRider

I guess its good you found it.

Garmin usually does a better job of engineering and testing things like that. I've been pretty happy with the Garmin(s) I have.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Good to here you found that thingamabob.

KevinG

Quote from: Sailor on June 11, 2010, 09:48:29 AM
Nice Job.....now if someone could just come up with an invention to go on an arrow that would give out a GPS signal.  Sad to say that I have lost a blood trail and lost a deer.  But then if you shoot through the dear I guess the GPS would not help either  :'(

I found a few things that might help you. This ones available now, but had some iffy reviews.
http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/store/store-trackingsystemsdept.htm

This one looks promising.
http://trackmasterats.com/trackmasterintro.htm

Looks like someones got a patent out on this one, but it's not manufactured yet.
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6409617/description.html

Sailor

Wow.....I hope this guy makes a mint with his invention.  I tried the other product many years ago.  I did not like it one bit.  It bothered the flight of the arrow and would be off target.  In all the years that I bow hunted I only lost 1 Deer but I hated it never the less. 

KevinG

Not sure if you saw it or not, but I modified the post and added the middle one too. Sounds like the ticket.

Sailor

Quote from: KevinG on June 11, 2010, 11:02:05 AM
Not sure if you saw it or not, but I modified the post and added the middle one too. Sounds like the ticket.
Yes....I just looked at it.  The one under patent looks like if you shoot through the animal the tracking system is still in the broad head.  The one you just edited into the message appears to have a sliding attachment that slides on the shaft and may allow it to still attach itself either on or inside the animal.