• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

my first brisket

Started by tenacioustommy, June 04, 2005, 08:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenacioustommy

Hello to all,

going to smoke a brisket tomorrow, right now it is in the fridge with a mustard and spice rub,  my question is:
the biggest flat brisket I could get was around 3 1/2 lbs, how long and at what temp do I cook?

any help would be appreciated

thank you
Tom

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

hello tom,  cut and paste, me dont like to type,
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br />This is the long and short of it.  12-24 hrs before you want to start your smoke/cook score the fat cap on the brisket.  Apply lots of yellow mustard to the entire flat including down into the fat where you scored it(the previous step is optional)Coat heavily with favorite rub.  Wrap in plastic wrap and into the fridge.  2 hrs before your ready to start take the brisket out of fridge and let it come to room temp.  1 hr. before starting plug in the Bradley and preheat to high .  Put flat on second rack down from top.  Adjust temp slide as necessary to maintain 225°f-235°f(top vent 1/4-1/2 open) until internal temp of brisket is 185°f.  Use 4-6 hrs of hickory smoke depending on your taste.  Don't open the door until the smoke has stopped(I do 4hrs of smoke myself).  Empty water bowl and refill with warm/hot water.  At this time I will add the top rack full of raw bacon.  The fat dripping down on the brisket adds flavor and juices(optional).  Don't open door again until its done.  When internal temp reaches 185 remove and wrap tightly in HD foil with about 1/4 cup apple juice.  Wrap that with 2 old towels and into any empty cooler or even in a cold oven(I use a cooler just big enough to hold a brisket flat(6-7 lbs)with the towels around it.  After a minimum of 1 hr. remove brisket and slice thinly against the grain.  If you use a flavorful rub no sauce needed.  Expect the entire cook to take appx 1 1/2 hr per lb.  Drink lots of your favorite beverage and have lots of fun.  If it looks like a meteroid when you take it out you have more than likely prepared a wonderful brisket.  All this is MHO of course.  I'm sure some of the other folks do it a bit different.  If this dosen't answer all your questions fire away.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

BigSmoker

I couldn't have said it better myself[:D][8D].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

Quote<i>Originally posted by SMOKEHOUSE ROB</i>
<br />hello tom,  cut and paste, me dont like to type,
QuoteAnd we all appreciate that too Rob![;)][:D][:D][:)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?