• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Rub question

Started by calis72, June 14, 2010, 06:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calis72

I am cooking for 100 this weekend and will be bbq'ing ribs.  The rub I am thinking of using is the 'Award Winning Dry Rub' recipe on the other site - http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?90-Award-Winning-Dry-Rub

My question is this calls for 5 cups of seasoning salt.  What is this?   Would this be like the Lawry's seasoning salt type product?  Could it be known as something else here in Canada?   When I make rubs in this quantity I buy the ingredients typically from the bulk barn which is a bulk food store here in Ontario.

Thanks.

squirtthecat

Yes..  That would be a Lawry's or a Johnny's or whatever your favorite (or available) blend of 'seasoned salt' is.

ronbeaux

Lawry's is generally known to be what seasoned salt is and many people modify it from there.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

calis72

ok thanks.  hopefully they sell that bulk.

FLBentRider

What are you cooking on that will hold ribs for 100?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Make your own Seasoning Salt!! Our good friend Nepas has provided us with a great recipe.

Seasoning Salt
3 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons butcher or coarse ground black pepper
1 tablespoon paprika (smoked, Spanish or hot Hungarian)
1 tablespoon celery salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne
1/2-1 teaspoon curry powder (opt)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon MSG or Accent (opt)
Mix all together and store in an airtight container.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

StickyDan

Bulk barn should have it, If not costo sells it for a pretty good price. 

TestRocket

Good luck and we like PICS! "Please"

calis72

I do catering part time and this weekend I have a big event where I am feeding 100 people 2 dinners and 2 breakfasts over 3 days. (dinner friday, breakfast saturday, dinner saturday, breakfast sunday).

For the ribs I have St.Louis cut which I will apply the rub to, I then cook them in the oven low and slow for about 4 hours and then on a large propane bbq to finish up.    The budget doesn't allow me to bring in a large smoker so this is the way I've come up with.   They aren't as good as in a smoker all day, but they turn out pretty good (I made them last year this way too).   I'm also making Lasagna's for the group the Saturday night.

I ended up buying a few bottles of Lawry's = I was at the store before I saw the make your own recipe which I'll try next time.   They had seasoned salt at the bulk barn but I really didnt like the look of it.

Caneyscud

Calis

I do the same thing 3 or 4 times a year - but as a volunteer.  I've gone to making baked ziti rather than lasagne.  Seems simpler and quicker for me.   

The last couple of times I've done Smoked Brisket one supper and the baked ziti the other.  Fried spaghetti is also pretty good and not too hard.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

calis72

For dinner friday I am making a variety of bbq's skewers (2xchicken, shrimp, tofu, veggie) and a variety of salads, breakfast saturday is pancakes and bacon with a bunch of other stuff, dinner saturday is the ribs, lasagna (I make huge ones, they feed about 25 people each and weigh about 28lbs each) and salads, and sunday is just muffins, bagels, leftovers etc.

I've made other pasta dishes as well and they are easier, but I've become known for my lasagna and it's kind of turned into my signature dish.  I make the sauce fresh with plum tomatos and roasted red peppers and loads of herbs/spices.  I simmer it for about 12 hours and then use a 5 cheese blend with egg pasta.  It's great.

StickyDan

Try smoking some of the vegetables you plan on using in your sauce.  Adds a real nice flavor!

squirtthecat

Quote from: calis72 on June 16, 2010, 01:59:05 PM
For dinner friday I am making a variety of bbq's skewers (2xchicken, shrimp, tofu, veggie) and a variety of salads, breakfast saturday is pancakes and bacon with a bunch of other stuff, dinner saturday is the ribs, lasagna (I make huge ones, they feed about 25 people each and weigh about 28lbs each) and salads, and sunday is just muffins, bagels, leftovers etc.

I've made other pasta dishes as well and they are easier, but I've become known for my lasagna and it's kind of turned into my signature dish.  I make the sauce fresh with plum tomatos and roasted red peppers and loads of herbs/spices.  I simmer it for about 12 hours and then use a 5 cheese blend with egg pasta.  It's great.

WOW.   What time should we arrive??   ;D

calis72

Sauce is already simmering, but I will definately give that a try sometime...