how long to smoke

Started by xbluefinx, June 17, 2010, 03:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xbluefinx

how long do i smoke jerky? got it marinated? wondering if it takes as long as my dehydrator (8-10) hours?. should I smoke it for 2-3 hours then finish it in the oven or dehydrator. thanks for the help

mikeradio

Welcome xbluefinx

You could do either, both methods will work for jerky.  If you own a dehydrator then I would
start in the smoker and then move it to the dehydrator, it will do a better job, I do 2 hours of
smoke on my jerky.

Mike

xbluefinx

if you only use the smoker is it too strong

mikeradio

No its not to strong, you still only smoke for 2-3 hours when using the smoker and then you keep the heat on to dry the jerky with no smoke.  The time will depend on
how thick the jerky is.  The dehydrator will work better because it has a fan to move the air, where the smoker does not have a fan.  If you use the smoker you want to keep the vent full open and put no water in the drip bowl.

xbluefinx

should i keep the water in the bowl for the smoking partthen empty it for the rest of the time?

Caribou

Welcome to the Forum xbluefinx!
No water in the bowl for the entire process and like Mike says keep the vent wide open.
This will help your jerky dehydrate in the smoker.
Carolyn

RAF128

I would leave the water in the bowl during the smoke.    It catches and extinguishes the biscuits.   It they're not put out the lay there smoldering and give off a bad taste.   After you get rid of the last bisquit take the bowl out.    Me, I don't bother.   Just make sure the vent is 100% open to let out the moisture.

garbadee

How about temp to set Bradley?  How often do I need to check on meat?

Ed

FLBentRider

The last batch I did @150F for about an hour and a half.

Then into the dehydrator for about 6 or 7 hours.

If you don't have a dehydrator just continue @150-170F until the jerky is done the way you want.

You should rotate racks top to bottom and front to back for even drying.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!