Question for the Bread Making Guys and Gals

Started by Smokin Soon, June 20, 2010, 05:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Soon

I cooked for a bunch of Cops down the street, mostly finger food and they gave a basket of these to grill.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/PrintRecipe?RID=1046&radio=1

They were fantastic dipped in some Balsamic mixed up with I dunno. They were off the hook!! My question: Is the Semolina a necessary ingredient? I'm not too sure I even know what it is. The King Arthur is easy to find here. I have never used it, but have seen some good reports from members. I used some garlic infused EVO when grilling.....good stuff!

Also, would it be possible to make up a batch to take camping or tailgating the next day?

FLBentRider

Semolina is a pasta flour. It would probably have a different texture without it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

deb415611

I have that recipe printed on my desk ;D.  I haven't done that one but have done one almost exactly the same without the cheese.  

Semolina wouldn't be necessary, you could add some additional flour to make up for it buy the dough will be softer and not as chewy.

Semolina is coarse wheat that looks almost like cous cous.  I have seen it in a few different places in the store....  in the health food section, in the bulk bins, or in the italian section (it's used to make pasta).   Bob's red mill is one of the brands that I can think of off the top of my head.  I usually order from King Arthur.  

A tip that was in the King Arthur Baking Sheet a few years ago  was to cut an onion in half, stick a fork in the round side, dip the cut end in oil and rub on the grill (this recipe calls for spraying the dough with olive oil) before putting the dough on

I would refrigerate after the first rise to use the next day.  Take it out of the fridge maybe an hour to bring to room temp before you  do the next step.  

Smokin Soon

After doing some reading, I might try a substitute of wheat flour, it's not so pricey. Thanks for all of your input.